Carburetor Problems Again! Help!

AVS619

Once again I am faced with a non-functional Schebler carburetor and I am at the point of not wanting to run the two cars with the problems with a Schebler anymore. I am tired of being stranded by the road waiting for help. My wife, Joyce, says she will never again ride in the 1909 Regal unless the carburetor is replaced and the 1912 Buick Model 28 leaks gas also. I have been to the forum before seeking help but now I need a straightforward answer as to what type of a 'modern' updraft carburetor can be purchased to replace the old one that will work and will not leak. Both cars are 30hp four cylinders of 201 and about 221 cubic inches. I know many of you have replaced your carburetors. Please tell me specifically what make and model carburetor you used and where to get one. I must solve this over the winter, I am planning on doing tours with both the Buick and the Regal next year. Please help or at least sell me a steam car so I can forget about carburetors. Thank you indeed. Best to email me directly at edfors@charter.net. Tom.

Carter BB1s always work well on brass cars-try to find an all cast iron version with the adjustable jet. There are some new Zeniths currently being made for commercial engines that work well too-(see photo below and note the invoice which has the ordering info!!). This one was just fitted to an early Fiat engine that is about 210-220 cid and some of the Model A guys are successfully using these as well (A Model A is 200.5 cid) Of course, you'll likely have to modify mounting flanges, linkages, hot air intakes, etc to make one of these fit, but that is certainly no problem.

PS- If you can't make a simple carburetor work, you'll never be able to get a steam car to operate either!!!!!!

post-31738-143142246566_thumb.jpg

Edited by motoringicons (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

The Carter # to look for on these BB-1s is 289S. This is usually on the small brass tag attached to the bowl. This carb will certainly manage a 220 cid auto engine and larger. I've used them on a 318 cid '09 Buick and '11 Marmon and they both run very well. You can also find a conical F&N air filter to fit. The original Carter air filters are hard to come by. Rand is very knowledgeable in these carbs and matching the correct size for the engine. Also you need the correct valve and needle seat for flow in a gravity feed system, which is likely in an '09 Regal. Rand can help there also, but Ron Hewitt at Daytona Parts Co in Florida (386-427-7108) has a new seat and disc arrangement that should work. Give him a call as he knows his business and has restored every carb in every car I've owned (from '09 to '56). He refers brass carbs, such as your Schebler Model ? to Classic Carburetors in Arizona. The Carter will really improve the running and dependability...if, of course the carb is the problem. Good luck!