41 Auto or stick

meteor

• 3 months later...
Guest 1940LaSalle

I only have experience with a standard transmission from that approximate vintage (I own a 1940 La Salle), and can't complain one bit about its reliability or its performance. The flathead V8 engines in Cadillac from 1939-1948 (and La Salle, 1939 and 1940) are, as far as I can determine, not bad to deal with; certainly parts seem to be readily available from Egge or similar vendors. Let's say this: the guy who rebuilt mine doesn't seem to have difficulty whatsoever with these engines.

As to mileage: in a word, lousy (by modern standards). The typical Cadillac / La Salle flathead V8 from that era will get perhaps 8 to 12 miles/gallon--about like that of a latter-day school bus. Now, if you buy one and have the engine rebuilt with modern materials of construction (e.g., Stellite valve seats), you can fill the tank at any pump and not have to deal with a lead substitute. The increasing and increasingly prevalent use of ethanol in fuels, however, bears watching for what it can do to rubber goods, but that's an across-the-board question for antique or classic vehicles.

If you go for a '41 Cadillac, I can't urge strongly enough joining the Cadillac / La Salle club. You'll get a huge network of knowledgeable people, of whom many own similar vehicles. I speak from direct experience.

Best of luck in your pursuit of your pre-war treasure.

What is the better trans? Is the auto reliable and do you lose a lot of power with it? Are the engines hard to work on? How about gas mileage? Looking to buy a 41 Buick or Caddy. Thanks, Roger

If you're considering a '40 LaSalle or '41 Caddy with stick, be sure the transmission is good and doesn't jump out of high or 2nd when accelerating or decelerating. If it does jump out, you'll have a hard time finding a good replacement transmission.

If you're cosidering a '41 Caddy with auto transmission, the Cadillac guys often recommend replacing the trans with one from a '48 or later, as they are better. With the auto, you'll gain a much higher speed rear end, which would be an advantage.

My brother has a '40 LaSalle convertible coupe with stick, and it could use a higher-speed rear end. Also, he's been through multiple transmissions trying to find one that didn't jump out of gear. And it's not the bellhousing alignment issue -- he's already looked into that. The car gradually developed the problem over the years, so it was probably a wear issue in the original transmission. He replaced the bearings, but there was no improvement. He also tried 2 other transmission, but the same issue. They were probably pulled out of cars back in the day because of jumping. There was no discernable wear in the gear teeth -- at least none that we can see.

The engines in these cars are strong performers.