information wanted

Guest uncaged

Guest uncaged

I have a Kingston 5 ball carburetor on my 1910 T Model Ford Touring. I have just rebuilt the engine and don't want to damage it by the ingestion of any foriegn material through the intake. Looking at the carb I see there is a thread on the inside diameter or the air intake. Q. Is this for a spark arrestor or an air filter, I have seen what I think is a spark arrestor it screws into the intake but its only about 4 inches tall. The air intake is upright not angled.

Any infor greatly appreciated.

Dave Bailey

Australia

If you could post a photo we could better help. I have worked on a few of these five balls. Some of these did have long pipe that went from the air intake to the exhaust manifold so warm air would go into the carburetor. These carburetors are a bit tricky to get working right. You might want to use a later, Model T Holley NH carburetor to get the car running properly and driving reliably and use the five ball Kingston for showing.

Edited by motoringicons (see edit history)

Guest uncaged

Dear Motoring icons,

Thanks for the quick reply, I've been inundated with photos showing that it is a spark arrestor/cum air filter.

Now contacting Russ Potter "Carbking" as he restored my 5 ball many years ago.

Thanks again

Dave