2013 Hershey Judging

A GOOD IDEA! The idea of splitting the judging team to accomodate Preservation cars with a separate team is a good idea, and would have been really demonstrated as such if the weather had not masked the results. Our team had far more preservation cars than point judged cars even with the low turnout. If the single team had to judge all cars it would not have been fun.

Suggestion: Have the Asst. Capt. function as coordinator for the Preservation team and let them do their thing. It slows thing down when the overall Team Capt still has to monitor and coordinate the effort. The Asst. can tabulate the Pres. teams paperwork and provide to the Capt at the completion.

Also, liked the idea of moving rapidly to hand out judging chips and cars at the completion (hate sitting around to get paid)

Mickey

I agree, to a degree, about splitting the team. But it won't work in every case.

I was the Team Captain at the Carlisle Meet and that was the first time I had that happen. As I understood it from Hulon McCraw it was only the second time they had tried it. In my case I was very lucky, I had two guys that had judged for me before and each of them had been a Team Captain a few times and both were in the program to be Certified Team Captains. I knew they could be trusted on their own to evaluate the Preservation vehicles. And because they had been Team Captains and had gone to the Team Captain CJE each year they knew the policies, procedures and etiquette to talk to the vehicle owner/owners if that was needed. The other two folks I had never judged with before and they were much newer to judging.

When I talked to Hulon after the Meet he agreed with my suggestion that if they are going to do this at Meets where they have enough people, they need to make sure they have at least two people that have been a Team Captain at least twice on the team. One to be the main T. C. and one to be the "Deputy" T. C. of the Pres. team. The AACA does not need the headaches, and trust me Hulon does not want the calls after a Meet, if rookies are sent out alone to deal with the owner/owners.

He told me that it is up to the discretion of the T. C. as to if they feel confident in splitting the team. If they don't, then they don't have to.

I had a different experience on the team that I judged with at Hershey this year. On our team, we ended up with a couple of very new judges being assigned to do the Preservation Vehicles, so basically the team captain had to follow up on everything they did. We had many no-shows, so it was not too much trouble. If the field had been full, it would have been a problem. I think that it works better to have 5 member teams. The 7 member teams has the potential to become difficult for some team captains to handle.

I had a different experience on the team that I judged with at Hershey this year. On our team, we ended up with a couple of very new judges being assigned to do the Preservation Vehicles, so basically the team captain had to follow up on everything they did. We had many no-shows, so it was not too much trouble. If the field had been full, it would have been a problem. I think that it works better to have 5 member teams. The 7 member teams has the potential to become difficult for some team captains to handle.

I agree it is a good idea, but I had the same experience. I am proud of my team. They did a great job, both on the points judging and preservations. But it results in keeping track of several things and basically two teams at the same time. I would have liked to have spent more time talking with the three on our team that were new judges, as well. I'm willing to spend the time, even at Hershey, especially if it makes for judging excellence.

BTW, Hulon and the Administration Team made it a very positive experience for one and all.