Series 5 cold start problems

Guest Al_Mercer

Guest Al_Mercer

Our 1922 Runabout starts, runs poorly for several seconds and stops 5 or 6 times before it will continue to run. Once the car is

warm or in 70 deg + weather it starts OK. I assume this is due to the fuel not atomizing properly and running rich. I am using the

stock Ball & Ball carburetor SV 22. I know that there are better carburetors but I would like to stay with this one. The jets are

marked 165 first stage and 155 second stage. Has anyone else had this problem ?

Al Mercer 636.928.8672

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Al - Sorry we didn't have more time to discuss at Hershey. Your car looked great. I seem to have the opposite problem with one of my cars; when cold you can't seem to get enough gas to it. Always have to prime it. If really cold I use my father's trick of heating spark plugs in the oven (not real convenient if out in the field). I found that switching to a big 6V truck battery and the heaviest battery cables I could find (I think are 00) helped immensely in terms of cranking speed. I have also been suspicious of the timing. Some previous owner switched the mag drive coupling from the OEM spline with the cross shaft to a simple transverse bolt through the whole assembly. I have checked the timing statically but the engine does not seem to respond to advance/retard like my other one. I think I need to pull the front cover and see if the camshaft is in the proper relationship to the crank. I always have to partially advance the timing (dangerous!) to get it to start when cold. My other car is a bit new to me to understand it's habits but does seem more willing to start and is more reactive to the spark advance.

Al - forgot to include info on my jets and a couple other things. B&B SV-22 jets are 155/160 in my original harder to start car and 155/165 in my "new" car. First car has a Bosch DU-4 mag that was rebuilt, the "new" car has an OEM Eisemann G-4 mag. Plugs are Stitt 19's in original car, Champion W16Y in new car.