New Franklin Owner With Questions

Guest jens denmark

Guest jens denmark

I got myself a 1923 10b and must start to make it driving but it all left me with more questions than answers, i need some specifications on engine like valve adjustment. etc. is there a place where that can be optained?

many thanks allready

Jens A Knudsen

Glauendrupvej 56

5485 Skamby

Denmark

jak@knudsen.mail.dk

Edited by Steve Braverman (see edit history)

Hello Jens and welcome to the Franklin forum on the AACA web site. I took the liberty to move your question to a new post. In the future, to do this click the "New Post" button. If you have trouble send me a PM and I will help you.

Series 10 Franklins are wonderful cars, and you will enjoy driving it. My father owns two of them. You must get a copy of the Franklin Instruction Book. Original copies are sometimes available on eBay or other places, but you can also order a new re-print from the Franklin Club. This book has all the specifications and instructions you will need. Contact Lloyd Davis for a new Instruction Book. They sell for $26 plus shipping.

Lloyd P. Davis

RR 1

Box 3899

Rutland, VT 05701-9217

Phone- 802-773-3590

I have owned a 1923 Series 10-B for about 2 years; it is a wonderful car to drive. Steve's advice to buy a Series 10 Instruction Book is excellent advice. I would add that you should also buy a Series 10 Parts Catalog, also available from LLoyd

Davis. I bought both and have used both of them regularly. I highly recommend joining the H. H. Franklin Club, if you have not done so. The Franklin Club website (http://www.franklincar.org) has an archive of technical questions and answers that has been very helpful. There is also an archive of original Franklin parts drawings on the website. The parts catalog will give you the part numbers and you can get pdf files of the drawings on the web site.

Questions about Franklins are very welcome.

Frank Pennypacker

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Winther

Hej Jens.

Jeg er gammel Franklin ejer og har stadig en stående under en evigheds renovering. Hvis jeg kan hjælpe dig med gode råd, så sig til.

MVH

Palle Winther

Guest jens denmark

hej Winther

lyder interesant, vil du kontakte mig, mine oplysninger står i øverste mail, jeg håber ikke min bliver en evighedsrestaurering men, tja tid er ikke så nemt at få fat på og jeg er ikke startet på noget endnu

vilken model og år er din ?

mvh jens

Guest jens denmark

hi steve

thanks for the welcome, havent found the new post button but didnt look for yet so we will see later

for the books i will do just that and i have been on the Franklin Club homepage several times, so might be a member soon?

not a lot of Franklin around denmark but i am looking to se if i have some Fellows here.

regards jens

Guest jens denmark

hi frank

thanks for the info i am sure i will have lot of questions when i get started and as i wrote to steve i will require the catalog so i can go for the correct specs. and parts

but right now i only have one question , there is a wire that ends on the frame to the left of the carburator and it looks original, i dont realy have any idea?

maybe you can help me, ore when i get the catalog i can see.

thanks

jens

hi frank

thanks for the info i am sure i will have lot of questions when i get started and as i wrote to steve i will require the catalog so i can go for the correct specs. and parts

but right now i only have one question , there is a wire that ends on the frame to the left of the carburator and it looks original, i dont realy have any idea?

maybe you can help me, ore when i get the catalog i can see.

thanks

jens

The wire is for an electric carburetor heater. Probably dangerous.

I think Steve is correct. If it is the wire to the carburetor primer it should have black insulation and the conductor should be 8 AWG (American Wire Gauge), the conductor will be about 3.7 mm diameter. The wire must be large to carry the large current required by the primer. The primer has a 100 ampere fuse. Unless you are operating the car in extreme cold, the primer is not needed and might cause a fire. The primer is connected to the carburetor float chamber and fills with gasoline. There is a heating element inside the primer that boils the gasoline so that gasoline vapor goes in the manifold. There is a gasket between the carburetor and the primer. I had a special gasket made without the hole in the center so that no gasoline goes into the primer. If you look at the dash, there are four switches. The upper left switch is marked primer and is intended to apply electrical, power to the primer.

Frank Pennypacker