internet scam???

I am not sure who this should be addressed, but I have received a reply to a "Parts Wanted" ad I placed from someone in England or so they say. I'm getting a bad feeling about this reply since they are in another country and have asked for my phone number. Is there any way to know when we have been compromised by bad people on our forum before we reply?

Thanks, Mark

There have been several scammers who have registered lately and have sent Private Messages to members. If you see an obvious scammer message, hit the report button and the moderators will take care of banning the scammer. Lots of people got messages like that recently from a user by the user name of iamphil89 and another with the user name of Tony24. Those have both been banned. There have also been a few others banned recently for similar behavior. Unless someone reports the scammer messages there is no way for the moderators to know about them.

Guest greasysgarage

My recent contact with regard to a Want to Buy ad 0n the AACA forum came by private message from someone using the name Ronald Jenkins. He has asked that I sent a Money Gram to an address in Telford, UK to pay for a part he claims to have. The whole thing smelled from the outset and the most recent email asked me to send the money to his wife, Harriet, at the address given. The house address is listed as "For Sale" on a British website so I assume they're using it as a mail drop. Hope old Harriet's not out waiting by the mailbox!

greasygarage,

There is not one registered with the user name of "Ronald Jenkins", please check the message and see what user name is listed as the sender. I can ban the scammer if you give me the user name (unless he is one that we have already banned).

Ronald Jenkins is the same scum bag that sent me a response to a parts wanted ad. Didn't know that Ronald and Harriet where names common in Uganda or Somalia or where ever this guy is from. I would like this guy to crawl back under whatever dung heap he crawled out of. How do we get the warning out to all of our friends?

If the AACA Forum PM or Email system delivered a PM or an Email, the text would indicate the user name of the user who sent the message. There is no user with the user name of "Ronald Jenkins" registered on the AACA Discussion Forum. The Moderators will be happy to ban any scammer who is registered on the site, but we can only do that if you provide us with the user name as registered on the site.

No, that does not help. I can only guess that you simply looked at the message text in your email. If you actually go to your Private Message in box on this site, it will show you what his registered user name is. A Private Message is simply a message between two forum members, it is not a secret message that does not tell you who sent it. To go to your PM inbox look at the top right corner of this page and click on notifications and then select inbox. That will take you to the PM, which will show the user name of the sender.

The only other information on the email was the following. Hope this helps. http://forums.aaca.org/sendmessage.php?do=mailmember&u=97091
No, that does not help. I can only guess that you simply looked at the message text in your email.....

It does help. 97091 is the member number. If you hold a mouse over a name its in the format http : // forums . aaca . org / member . php ? u = 97091. (with spaces added by me to show on line)

Remove spaces and it defalts to user name http://forums.aaca.org/member.php?u=97091

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

• 2 months later...
Guest BrassCar Bill

This Ronald Jenkins individual responded to my parts wanted ad. I used my work email as my contact method, and heard from "him" a couple of weeks later. I was asked to do Money Gram because his PayPal account was dormant. Red flag number one. Like a dope, I wrote back to him and asked for his information so that I could send the money. The quoted price was a deal. Like a super dope, I gave up my home address, home phone (unlisted) and cell phone number.

I then thought, maybe this is too good to be true, and Googled his email address, which lead me to this forum thread. OH NO!!!!! I remembered that you can recall a sent email in Outlook, which I promptly did. I guess we will see if I did it in time. If this is a scumbag who is not diligent in checking his email, I may be OK, but my pessimist side says I am screwed. Words to the wise - run the Google query before you reach out to any "vendor" contacting you from this or any other forum. If you need to recall an email and don't know how, Google "recall or replace an email in Outlook".

I should know pretty soon if I am in real trouble. If the recall was successful, I should get one type of response. If it was not, I will be under attack. If anyone has solid advice on next steps I should take to prevent this, please advise quickly.

Thanks, Bill

Thanks.

This Ronald Jenkins individual responded to my parts wanted ad. I used my work email as my contact method, and heard from "him" a couple of weeks later. I was asked to do Money Gram because his PayPal account was dormant. Red flag number one. Like a dope, I wrote back to him and asked for his information so that I could send the money. The quoted price was a deal. Like a super dope, I gave up my home address, home phone (unlisted) and cell phone number.

I then thought, maybe this is too good to be true, and Googled his email address, which lead me to this forum thread. OH NO!!!!! I remembered that you can recall a sent email in Outlook, which I promptly did. I guess we will see if I did it in time. If this is a scumbag who is not diligent in checking his email, I may be OK, but my pessimist side says I am screwed. Words to the wise - run the Google query before you reach out to any "vendor" contacting you from this or any other forum. If you need to recall an email and don't know how, Google "recall or replace an email in Outlook".

I should know pretty soon if I am in real trouble. If the recall was successful, I should get one type of response. If it was not, I will be under attack. If anyone has solid advice on next steps I should take to prevent this, please advise quickly.

Thanks, Bill

Thanks.

There are a couple of other guys we need to look out for. There is a Garry Benfield in England and also a Garry Hardy of Kansas. I Googled the name and address and it does not exist in my search. Interesting that they both spell Garry with two r's. Just a coincident, I think not.

Mark

.... I used my work email as my contact method, and heard from "him" a couple of weeks later..
Your profile has a vcard. Anyone registered can read that email address. You can change your settings options to hide that

Settings--> general settings

Edited by 1939_buick
More detail (see edit history)