Brush in Chocolate field last week

Steve_Mack_CT

Hi curious if anyone spoke to seller on the red Brush runabout in the Chocolate field last week @ Hershey? I am interested, but not really knowledgeable on smaller Brass cars and was curious what the asking price was on it - stopped twice, once seller was in the midst of showing and later they were loading up and I did not want to bother them for a less than 100% serious inquiry. The car looked pretty complete, from what I could see.

What's ballpark on one of these besides "more than a T but less than a Cadillac?" ;) :confused:

THANKS

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT
added thank you!! (see edit history)

Good luck on making one from scratch. The Brush Owners club has many members that are looking for the original running gear and misc. cast parts. They look simple, which they are, but the availability of parts is really tough. Wood frame, axels, and body parts could be made, but the castings, engine, tranny, and dual chain drives are hard to come by. Anybody able to share a picture of the Brush that was for sale? I'd like to see what $16K could buy. Thanks.

Hi,

Anybody able to share a picture of the Brush that was for sale? I'd like to see what $16K could buy. Thanks.

Here's the photo my buddy sent to me.

post-62522-143142252793_thumb.jpg

I really would have liked to own this car--it's a perfect parade vehicle. I am particularly captivated by that inverted coil spring suspension.

Alas, it was not to be...

--Tom

It's the car my father and I sold at Chickasha in March. Neat car, I think. Here are a couple photos I posted here earlier this year.

Tom-I'm not sure it would be a good parade vehicle-it has no fan-and a parade could be hard on the transmission. They make great tour cars, though.

post-30702-143142252855_thumb.jpg

post-30702-143142252859_thumb.jpg

The Brush has certainly proved to be a great tour car, a Brush was the first car to drive the 2600 miles from Perth to Sydney Australia in 1912. The trip was re-enacted in 2012 by a group of 1 & 2 cylinder cars including a number of Brush cars. The original trip took 28 days on largely unmade roads, we did it in 21 days on good roads. Interesting cars with a wooden chassis and front axle.

Thanks Tom and Chris. Very nice original. It appears to be a Liberty model. The price seems very fair, all things considered. Sorry to see another one leave USA.

DavidMc, that is a very interesting post. I would really like to see the engine in Bob Lamond's two cylinder Brush. Two cylinder models were mentioned in early advertisements, but I have never seen one or a picture of one.

Thanks all.

post-90871-14314225479_thumb.jpgThe fenders with lack of running boards and the steel painted radiator shell are indicative of a 1912 Liberty. If it has a cast iron crank case that would be another sign of it being a Liberty model( all other Brush cars had the aluminum crank case). Very nice car and I think the purchaser got it for a bargain. I too would like to see a picture of Bob Lamond's two cylinder engine. His( very nice ) roadster would have originally come with the same one cylinder engine as other standard Brush models. The two cylinder ( as far as I can tell from my original literature) was advertised as being in a touring model. I have always been under the impression that no known examples of a two cylinder ( car or just an engine) exist so if Bob Lamond has an original two cylinder Brush engine he certainly has a very very rare piece of automobile history. One can only assume that the Brush Runabout Co produced and tested at least one prototype of the two cylinder engine before they ever decided to advertise it but stranger things happened 100 years ago. My info certainly could be incorrect so if it is please correct me . Thanks

If my memory serves me correctly Bob's two cylinder engine is a reworked Brush industrial engine. I recall a past article that it was found I think at a plantation in Hawaii. Brush also produced a great number of engines for use with power plants, saw mills and such. I had one 20 or so years ago. It was very close to the automobile engine and in fact could be put into a car. I have seen a couple of different ads for the Brush 2 cylinder, and a photo of one at a period auto show. I would have to say that there is a good probability some cars were produced, but have never seen any parts to, or a real trace of one.

I saw the Liberty at Chickasha. It looked very intact, and very original. I wanted to buy it but concluded the resulting divorce would be much more expensive.