Help identify rear window for touring car

cgrocen

Hello everyone,

I found this in the attic of my uncle's workshop. I believe it is a rear window for a touring car. What make and what model? That is what I would like to find out. It is 19 3/4" wide x 6 1/2" high measured to the outsides of the aluminum frame. The frame is marked "Reg'd Design. 1918" and the glass is marked "R.D. 1918". The glass has a 1" wide bevel around the outside.

Can anyone tell me what kind of a car this would belong to?

Click on the image for a larger view.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

1_DSC03095.jpg

2_DSC03096.jpg

3_DSC03097.jpg

4_DSC03099.jpg

post-31482-143142237893_thumb.jpgIt's close to Chandler but not right...but it's not Cleveland either (see attached), that was much more of a dog bone....my guess is it's a generic rear window frame, but maybe someone will come up with a car badge that matches...

post-64575-143142238322_thumb.jpg

I'm pretty sure it is from a Chandler. I'm not sure if it is from a closed car or if Chandler had glass rear windows in their open cars. I know my 1915 Chandler has soft rear windows, but I've not been able to confirm if they are correct for my car.

The shape of a glass rear window if it exactly followed the Chandler logo would probably be rather fragile, I'd think that the corners of the glass would be easy to break off the main central part of the glass. Having a rather sharp inside corner would make the corners prone to breaking, and manufacturing an inside corner in glass is expensive. [Due to breakage] So I suspect the shape is as close to the logo shape as is practical. I can't think of any other car logo that is closer than Chandler.

Greg L.

post-64575-1431422383_thumb.jpg

Edited by GLong (see edit history)

• 6 months later...

Hello everyone,

I believe the rear window I have is for 1918-1920 McLaughlin. I was at a swap meet and two people told me the same thing. I went on the web, and searched 1918-1920 McLaughlin and that same window does show up on some of the McLaughlin cars from that era.

Best regards,

Chris