For Sale - 1917 Marmon 34A Cloverleaf Roadster

dpeeler

A wonderful tour car with an interesting history! This sporty Marmon is one of only six known cloverleaf roadsters, as listed for 1917 in the Marmon Club roster. It was owned for many years by Bruce S. Williams, son of Monty Williams, the last President of the Marmon Motor Car Company and ownership history has been researched back to the 1950’s.

An older restoration dating to the 1960’s, it has tremendous curb appeal and displays a beautiful patina. The green body and black fenders maintain a high gloss but shows the little nicks and bumps of a car that has been toured and enjoyed for years. The 4 passenger interior is a matching green with no rips or tears. The tan top does have the usual stains and minor tears, but still looks good and raises/lowers easily. The dual side mounted spares were an accessory and are extremely rare to find. It has a complete set of nearly new side curtains and a tonnau cover for the rear compartment. It also appears that this car could be a factory “renewed” Marmon 34 sporting the updated drum headlights, sloping windshield, cowl lights, and front and rear bumpers, all nickel plated as they were installed on the later Model 34C’s in 1923 and 1924. These Marmon 34’s, built from 1916 to 1924, used aluminum extensively for both body and engine components. Marmon’s engineers were way ahead of their time.

I have driven this Marmon just about every Sunday morning, good weather permitting. It is set up to tour with confidence and is fast. It starts with ease every time and runs cool even on the hottest of summer days. The engine and most components are original to the car with only the generator, magneto, starter and carburetor having been replaced with more modern dependable equivalents. The originals were kept and are included should the new owner wish to go back original. It remains a 6 volt electrical system. Additionally, the rear gears were replaced with a higher speed gear which allows the car to travel at highway speeds with ease.

Reluctantly, I am running out of garage space and have decided to pass this special Marmon on to someone who will enjoy it as much as I have. It has a clear North Carolina title and the original Owner’s Manual, rare Parts Book and other literature come with the car as well.

When was the last time you saw an early Marmon 34 for sale?

Asking $48,500

David Peeler

Charlotte, NC

704-564-5468

Dpeeler5@carolina.rr.com

<fieldset class="postcontent"> <legend>paperclip.png Attached Thumbnails</legend> attachment.php?attachmentid=218504&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1381770525 attachment.php?attachmentid=218505&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1381770526 attachment.php?attachmentid=218506&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1381770528 </fieldset>

clear.gif Edit Post clear.gif Reply clear.gif Reply With Quote multiquote_40b.png

I'm sure numerous people saw this car at Hershey, very nice automobile. As a youngster, I remember being fascinated by the Marmon advertisements in magazines, colorful attractive cars with solid black background in the ads.

That'd be a great tour car for someone. Good luck with sale....

Thank you David. Yes, it did attract a lot of attention at Hershey despite being covered and out of the rain....but it really does every time I drive it! I have several of those ads you were referring to that go with the car and they do a great job to show that the folks at Marmon were far ahead of their time in the styling and technology of the car.

• 2 weeks later...