Bugatti Royale

The Schlumpf Obsession - I think was the title of the book I recall. It at least gave good coverage of the ones they had and the 'tribute' Esders' roadster.

Maybe AACA Library can help?

At one point, four of the six Royales were in the United States and on public display: The blue/black Coupe d'ville and the yellow/black Berline de Voyage were at Harrah's in Reno, the black Kellner coupe was at the Briggs Cunningham Museum in Costa Mesa, CA, and the only convertible built was on display at the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn. I believe the only one on display in America now is the Henry Ford Museum Car. At one time, the Briggs Cunningham car was at Collier but I am not sure if it is still there.

The other two cars plus the extra chassis were always at Schlumpfs in France. The extra chassis was recently restored and the body that was designed but never produced was built and installed.

As a kid, I worked at the Cunningham Museum and got to ride in the Kellner coupe. Later on in life, I worked at Harrah's and got to drive those two. I also worked at the Henry Ford Museum and sat in their Royale, but it was not running at the time. Harrah also had a few extra engines that were NOS in shipping crates. The Royale engines were also used to power rail cars in France.

A long time ago, all six cars were re-united at Pebble Beach.

Edited by motoringicons (see edit history)