62 starfire trim code confusion

jmcap

Getting ready to have a new convertible top installed on my 62 Starfire and can’t decide whether to do it in white or blue. Many feel the top was blue because of the color of the frame is blue. Yet, I’m still really confused as to what my original trim order called for. I researched the trim tag and can only confirm that the paint code is C and the car thankfully was refinished in Provincial White.

The rest of the tag is confusing:

1. After the PAINT code entry ‘C’, there is a double space and then either the number 5, or the letter F.

2. The TRIM code entry is: 933-4. All of my research only shows code numbers in the 200’s or 300’s.

Questions:

1.Was the 900 series exclusive to the Starfire?

2.Does the 5 or F, or the ‘ - 4 ’ refer to the color of the top? I can’t confirm anywhere in my research.

3.The last confusion on the tag occurs in the lower most right hand corner below the explanation of the acrylic paint and to the right of “ Body by Fisher”. There is the entry of the number 22. ??

I know there is the human error factor in the punching of these tags ( How much Beer was drunk at lunch ), but I really like to know what’s correct for my application.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

White tops and black tops had black painted top frames because both had black liners. Blue, red and fawn tops had matching liners and the top frames were painted to match.

I believe the second letter in your paint code is an F. This would be the code for the wheel rim or wheel cover color. F is for Wedgewood Mist. Makes sense, since you've got a blue interior/top.

Yes, all Starfires were 900 series trim codes. I believe the 4 after your interior code denotes a light blue top. Not all plants used the top code suffix (Lansing being one of them). White would be 1, black would be 2, red would be 3, fawn would be 5. I used to have all this info on a website, but I lost the hosting abilities when I changed internet providers. I'm doing this from memory, so I could be off a notch on the numbers one way or the other. I'll confirm with my color/upholstery book and edit it necessary.

Can't help with your 22 code. I have no information on that.

Paul

Paul,

Thanks so much for the historical information. I had a feeling that's what the 4 meant, and yes I have a blue top frame. Did not know about the color coded liner. Learned as well about the 'F' from you today. Always thought the color coded wheel caps were a dealer provided option. I did mine with 1/4 inch pinstriping and very few know it's not original. As to the color of the top, My only concern is the shade of blue that's available today and how it works with the near original redone interior. It's my decision to make and for sure I will stress over it. Again I thank you for your input.

John

post-67805-143142234164_thumb.jpg

Well, I was pretty close on the top color codes. They are all correct except red, which is #6. There is no #3 (which was probably green in '61). I've attached a scan of the page from the color and upholstery book so you can see what the blue should look like. Any upholstery shop should be able to show you a sample of the blue top they can get for you. You can't get one with the coordinated liner anymore - they're all black now.

Wheel covers were available from the factory in Provincial White, Wedgewood Mist (blue), Willow Mist (green), (Sahara Mist) fawn, Garnet Mist and silver. Very early in the run they were available in (Royal Mist) maroon, but were quickly discontinued. Later in the year they were available in Chariot Red. Wheel covers could also be purchased, unpainted, across the parts counter. Dealers were provided with a template to paint the wheel covers any color the customer desired.

post-41439-143142235116_thumb.jpg

Paul,

Just returned from top man and you are right. By the way, I never mentioned that the present top on the car is white. Anyway, One can still get a light blue top but only lined in black. Thank you for the color chart. Makes me feel very comfortable in the decision I made. The light blue offered today is almost an exact match to the color chart you provided. Thank you again for the education and valuable information and enclosed chart.

John

I've decided to have the top redone in its proper color as dictated by the build Trim tag. It got me wondering if at this point in time can I find how many of the 7,000+ convertibles produced were ordered in Provincial White with code '933' interior and '4' a light blue top? Searched Google and Bing images of 62 Starfires and see many examples of varied color combos but non like mine. Were records kept of this type and if so does anyone know how to retrieve it?