A big thanks, as always, to the Hershey staff and volunteers

Matt Harwood

Despite the weather, the folks of the Hershey Region did a first-class job in every way. Traffic was easily controlled and the layout and organization were excellent. Lighter crowds probably helped, but I was continually impressed by how well they make this massive event work. Several examples:

Put the wrong window sticker on one of our cars. A volunteer helped us rectify the situation, even riding with me to the correct parking space and getting us through the check point at the Car Corral entrance.

Apparently someone in a cart crashed into a car in the Car Corral, and then blamed the owner of the car for not parking it straight. We had two spaces and the space next to us was open, so I kind of parked the cars at an angle facing each other. Two workers came up and explained the situation and I was happy to help. No strong-arm tactics, just politely asking us to move the cars. They could have been jerks, but instead they were gentlemen. I wish I'd gotten their names, they did it exactly right.

On Thursday, I pulled in driving the 1941 Packard and across the row from us was a mid-50s Ford pickup that was clearly NOT stock. Big Pro-Street tires, wheelie bars, and an engine whose every cylinder fire could be felt in your chest (which he continually demonstrated by revving it to 7000 RPM). About an hour later, was asked to leave. I'm glad to see that the rules were being applied in a consistent way. That really goes a LONG way towards keeping tempers cool. How much do you want to bet that the owner of the hot-rod pickup is on another message board talking about what assh*les the AACA guys are for throwing his rod out of the show?

Some tourist decided to drive his Ford Focus through the car corral at a rather elevated rate of speed and was chased down at speed by a pair of workers in a cart. It was amusing but eventually they caught him/her and showed him the way out. Not sure if the tourist was intentionally or inadvertently doing a drive-thru, but the volunteers were on it right away before anyone got hurt.

Anyway, kudos once again to the fine folks who make this event happen each year!

I could not have said it any better than what was previously mentioned.

The organization abilities of the staff was remarkable, from the trailer parking to the show car entrance process.

My only recommendation is the "need for signage" when the show cars leave. It was rather comical watching quite a few attendees get lost on their way out.

And thank you for my first Senior award...... it means a ton to me.

Guest Art Griffin

I add my Thanks to all of the other AACA members who enjoy being at Hershey!! All of the Hershey Region members stepped forward to make this year's Meet successful. They can't control the weather, but even with rain they were there to do their jobs and to make all of us from around the world enjoy another great Meet.

Art Griffin

Guest snowshoe1

Congratulations on a well done 2013 AACA meet at Hershey.

Once again we were bamboozled by the weather.

Who knew that it could actually storm for 48 hours straight and accumulate over nine inches of rain fall?

I regularly bring my full head to toe rain suit to Hershey "just in case".

This year the rain was such a torrential down pour all of Thursday and Friday that I actually

think that some of the "early Hershey mud years" that had ingrained dirt stains in my rain suit were actually rinsed away.

I predict next year we will have a glorious week of sunshine and gentle breezes. Nevertheless, I'll still bring my rain

suit...."just in case"!

Guest Art Griffin

In addition to my post above thanking the Hershey Region of AACA, I want to also thank AACA Headquarters personnel for their great work at Hershey. And the AACA Museum and the AACA Library and Research Center have some really outstanding activities during the Hershey Meet each year....thanks. And I don't want to forget the AACA Board of Directors and the many Committee Chairpersons who also do an outstanding job. What about our Judges? Well, they did a super job, too.

So, you see that many, many people throughout AACA come together to make the Hershey Meet a success every year. But, it doesn't end there.........As a Meet Chairman several times at Meets hosted by the Cape Canaveral Region, I know how much folks throughout our great AACA organization come together to make things happen.

As you all know, AACA and it's Regions and Chapters and the total membership really are worthy of THANKS!

Art Griffin

I just want to say thanks to the Hershey region for putting this on. This is an enormous task and the volunteers and paid security people all do a great job. I arranged to have people from LA, Texas, Nebraska and Georgia come help work a Metropolitan Club membership tent. They traveled all that way and arrived to almost nonstop rain. To make it worse, I had to leave early for a family emergency Thursday and took my Met with me. (All's well now at home) For myself, I got to walk the flea market a bit, had some fun window shopping and renewed a bunch of acquaintances before I left. The others, who were nearly flooded out in the camp ground, got soaking wet and had their EZ UP destroyed by the rain, still held out to the end, got to see bits of the flea market, the car corral, the auction, the Saturday show and make new friends, have been writing to say what a great time they had and to encourage me to do it again next year. My friend, the late Steve Boettger, used to call these the High Holy Days of Hershey. Even bad days at Hershey are great days.

Thanks to the Hershey Region

Bill

.............. My friend, the late Steve Boettger, used to call these the High Holy Days of Hershey.......................Bill

Really strange Bill. I read over a Hershey thread last week with posted spots of all of our flea market friends. When I saw Steve's name listed then, I was shocked until I realized that someone had posted on a very old Hershey thread.

Now, you bring up our Buddy, Steve's, name again. He must have been looking over us last week.:)

Edited by R W Burgess (see edit history)

As usual, I had a great time and thank all of the people who help to put this meet together and keep it together throughout. I'm really glad I didn't give in to the rain and go home on Friday as I really enjoyed the show on Saturday. I really thought the grass would be like a sponge but it was as good as it would have been if it had not rained at all. I talked to several people about their cars and had several people talk to me about mine. I didn't find it confusing leaving the show field at all but I suppose if you haven't driven around Hershey much, you might have ended up somewhere unfamiliar. Already counting the days to next year!

Now, you bring up our Buddy, Steve's, name again. He must have been looking over us last week.:)

Steve's son was in his old spots with friends from home, peddling some of his stuff. I bought a showroom sign from them and went back to my space for my wagon to haul it out. Before I could go get it, I got a call that someone else wanted to buy it and would double my money. I told them to sell it. My guess is the second buyer sold it before the day was out and doubled his money again. We all had a good laugh when I went back to get my share. There is nothing quite like Hershey.

Bill