1940 Ford Deluxe Woodie.....Removing the wood body

Guest groinky

Guest groinky

Work is progressing on the restoration of my 1940 Ford Deluxe woodie wagon.

It's now time to remove the wood body so the frame can be sandblasted and restored so I'm looking for pointers on the correct procedures.

I know the wood structure has to be well cross braced and then lifted up as a unit after the doors and tail gate have been removed, but does anyone have any helpful hints?

Thanks

Jim

unfortunately many of the photos of my car are currently offline.. (as my photoservice moves it servers)

but the roof for my 40 was completely assembled when I got it.. as were the quarters, doors and gate..

two buddies and I actually set the roof in place first, then set the quarters, and gate, before reinstalling b pillars and doors..

I didnt even have a complete floor before the wood was together...

if I were to undo it all.. I would certainly separate the roof from the car, remove the doors and quarters before I pulled the pan off the frame..

just what I would do.. personally (having owned a 40, and had a 36 wagon off the frame.. I dont think any good can come of removing the body from the frame without diss assembly

someone else will likley post an opposite opinion, but if I had decent (or even just OK wood) i wouldn't risk the damage that could come from body / frame separation..

just my opinion..

some pics of my project.. are at this link

http://recycled40fordwoodie.blogspot.com/

Guest groinky

Hi Jeff;

Thanks for your thoughts on the wood removal. I am now leaning towards the dis assembly process.

Your log and pictures were very helpful. I would like to see the rest of the pictures when they are available.

Best Regards

Jim

groinky, perhaps 2"x4"s under the floor pan, the last thing you want to happen is to buckle the floor! You are correct about structural bracing, you can't have enough and take your time! Good luck.