Hershey Finds 2013

auburnseeker

Well despite really only having one good weather shopping day on Wednesday I did manage to buy 140+ parts to resell and some great parts for my own projects.

I managed to buy Wednesday Thursday and Friday. You had to love digging through those 25 cent boxes in front of the Giant Center on Friday. I spent around $1000 on parts for resale and managed to spend another 1350.00 on parts for my own cars. I found an NOS horn ring for my 48 Plymouth ragtop, a full set of rechromed towel bars for the bumpers on my 36 Cord as well as a rechromed fence for one side of the hood. I also picked up a set of NOS fog King fog lights for it for cheap money. Passed on a beautiful 1940 Buick banjo steering wheel that was an extremely good buy. I tried to find the vendor for the next 2 days and couldn't remember where he was. I think since he had a lot of paper he picked up on Wednesday and didn't come back. I kick myslef for not buying that.

I found a set of chromed bumper inside end covers for my 36 Chrysler in a dollar pile with pretty darn nice chrome. I know they didn't come chrome but when they are that cheap you can't pass them up.

I also found a pair of NOS inside door handles for my Dad's 49 Merc for 5.00 each.

I picked up a pair of NOS front door glass runs with the fuzzy liners with correct stainless beads for my 60 Vette for 30.00 and that was for the pair. I have rechromed pillars to install and couldn't pass up replacing the runs when I have them out of the door with these mint GM ones.

There were some good deals to be had if you really looked around and knew what stuff fit.

Here is my annual Photo of my Hershey Haul.

How did the rest of you do? post-43003-143142230297_thumb.jpg

Lets see......

I found a nice set of mirrors for my 47' Buick convertible a nice set of sun visors and a period visor mirror. Also managed a nice passenger door extension and stainless spear for the front fender of the 48' convertible and a horn ring

Picked up some windlace for the 47' convertible and some window seals for the 56' fo' do'

I also picked up some garage art and a pile of shirts and sweatshirts.

Very happy with this years finds. I actually had better convertible only finds this year than the last several together.

Matt

Guest my3buicks

I found that after several hours in the pouring rain my umbrella starts to leak and that waterproofing spray sprayed on my jacket, hat, pants and shoes really doesn't work as well as one might think. LOL

post-31482-143142230661_thumb.jpgI went on Wednesday for the first time in years, usually go up on Thursday...glad I did...walked a few rows over from my field spot and saw this 1898-1900 Pierce bicycle, wooden rims and fender, netting so the gal doesn't catch her dress in the spokes, and wonderfully complete and original. I have an identical one in excellent original condition, but couldn't pass this one up.

Also got a very interesting Trippe spotlight from a friend and fellow "forumer"....we debated whether it was fire truck, marine, or ???

I pre-sold just enough stuff to about break even, so I'm happy! Also visited with numerous friends, which is getting to be more and more the reason for going....

post-31482-143142230647_thumb.jpg

Found a steering wheel for my 1913 Metz. The wood in it is just good enough to be restored and will look fantastic. I completed a critical parts swap with a fellow AACA member and couldn't possibly be any happier with the results. Had a great time looking at the cars but didn't see much for my Metz. The few things I did see that were more generic to the era were priced too high for me. I was disappointed to not find more items but I guess that just leaves a lot of cash for the next time.

Going to get a few pics into this and also memorabilia sections once I unpack and download from my camera. Didn't intend to let a little rain dampen out enthusiasm! Went shopping on Tursday, Susan was out Wed. We both snagged some great items. she did well with MG stuff, even Sat while walking over to the show field, we found three original front shocks for our 1948 MGTC. They are good cores for rebuilding and we're glad to have them. Stopped and visited with so many folks we see only this one time a year it was a great Hershey experience. Sure, we're disappointed some of the vendors packed up early and left but can't blame them as they probably had a lot of stuff that the rain could have easily ruined. We'll be back again-meantime, we should all express our thanks to the hard working members of Hershey Region and national for all their hard work under very difficult circumstances with the weather. We appreciate it!

More later - just got home a couple of hours ago.

Terry

I like the report auburnseeker gave of his finds, even giving totals and photos.

Nice to see the picture of the Pierce bicycle trimacar found. I saw one of those, 2 Winton bikes and a Peerless bike a few days before getting to Hershey. The turn-of-the century Peerless could be the only one still in existence.

During Wednesday, Thursday and Friday I was too busy working at the Peerless Motor Car Club booth to stop in more than seven booths. If I go to the meet again maybe I'll have time to see the other 9,000(!). My purchases were limited to scrambled eggs, hot chocolate and a bagel at the AACA food booth which may be ascribed to somewhat conservative budgeting of finances and time this year.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

1378501_556005551119758_1740254693_n.jpg SOLD when I got there, but it was the find of the meet IMO. An unrestored 1903 Cadillac, must have made two people very happy. I had a great time, borrowed an 18 foot trailer that I covered the floor of with unwanted stuff, and provided lots of finds for others. Found some T speedster odds and ends, but my goal was to sell stuff to fund the Roadster project. Lots of literature never left the trailer, internet, here it comes. Bob

I noticed on Friday morning there were a lot of EZ-Fold tents that refused to hold that 8.5 inches of rain water we got.... so I spent about 2 hours early that morning scrapping them out for all the useable parts. Finally I now have all the tent parts to repair my own damaged EZ-Up 10x10 tent.

When I get done I'll also have a 10x20 foot EZ-Up tent patched together from 3 twisted wrecks picked up that morning. Never again will rain stop me from vending... I'll have plenty of room under cover.

Did pick up a Federal Signal interior dash mount flashing red light.... incase I ever restore a Starsky and Hutch Torino sorta thinking... $4.00 was a deal.

R W Burgess,

Thanks for the kind words, Wayne. This was my first visit to the event, so everything was a little overwhelming. David Baird and I from the Peerless Motor Car Club fielded a 1909 Peerless and a 1917 Pierce-Arrow for Saturday's Show and had them "under tent" at the booth Wednesday through Friday. Wonderful to meet all the people that we did.

An extremely large number of wet people came through Thursday and Friday, plus a lot of foreign visitors. Canada, Turkey, Poland, Israel, Denmark, Columbia, Brazil, The Netherlands, and The U.K. were represented. One visitor was a retired GM fuel injection engineer who left with a photo of Louis Chevrolet's Peerless(he didn't think there would be much of interest to a Chevy Guy at a Peerless Booth). Another owns the largest auto museum in Turkey (before you say: "Yeah, right!", this has some serious iron in it -- way over a hundred cars -- including a '48 Town & Country convertible, muscle cars, two pre-war Cadillacs, an "ought seven" Stanley, an 1899 Decauville, 14 Chevrolets, 5 Buicks, and a '28 Peerless).

Edited by jeff_a
Nothing beats good editing -- except good writing. (see edit history)

so I spent about 2 hours early that morning scrapping them out for all the useable parts. Finally I now have all the tent parts to repair my own damaged EZ-Up 10x10 tent.

Do have any spare parts for sale? I saw few EZ-Up's in the trash near my spaces in Red Field North, but when the rain let up they were gone. I was down to the last pair of shoes so they had to last.

As far as what my finds were, I did find new owners for my 31 Chevy on Wednesday, and a good time can be made regardless of the weather