ABS sensor leads

DAVES89

I went through my inventory of front and rear ABS Sensor leads and thought I would try something new. A number of the leads in my inventory have the rubber going bad. I started to think of a way to make them be weather resistant. I had tried Padgetts idea of repair by using a product called "PlastiDip". The problem is that the product only worked for about 2 years and then started "breaking up" allowing moisture penetration causing lead failure. So I thought I would try "Heat Shrink. I found a supplier in Florida called "Buy Heat Shrink". They have a 4-1 reduction heat shrink product that is available in various lengths with an adhesive. So I bought the 1" diameter in a 4" length. I figured the the 1" diameter would fit over the round rubber boot on the lead that snaps into the inner fender. I was correct, it did fit over the boot. I then cut the 4" length to what I needed over lapping on each boot. The heat shrink shrunk down very well on the boot but not quite down to the rubber coating. It also became semi rigid.

However I did take my worst two leads, redid them with the heat shrink and installed them on the Red. I was able to put them in all the mounts and plugged in the lead to the under hood harness. I then took it for a ride and it worked. This was Wednesday night. In the last two days I drove about 400 miles and everything is working great, the ABS light has not come on [other then at start up when it goes through it's test]. The real test will be after a few thousand miles and with rain/moisture having a chance to penetrate the heat shrink.

I am cautiously optimistic.

Rained all day yesterday and the leads worked fine. I am into my busy season with my job, and am driving a lot. Put on close to 1000 miles on these "heat shrunk" leads and they are working well.

BTW Also this month I have just passed 100,000 of my own miles on the Red. It has just rolled over to 214,000 miles. This has been a great car to own with very little trouble. Did the regular maintenance, plus the usual replacement parts.

As I use it for my business and get .50 a mile deduction I now consider it a "free" car as the deductions equal/exceed purchase price/maintenance/repairs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

It is now better then a year and 18000 miles [with snow and rain] later and the reconditioned leads are still working. The reconditioned leads I have on the car are not anywhere near as nice as the ones I am selling. The reconditioned ones look like NOS and will be available at the Springfield BCA Reunion.