1935 Desoto Airflow SG Overdrive Transmission?

Guest brickyardboy

Guest brickyardboy

post-96959-143142228085_thumb.jpg

I'm trying to I.D. this Borg Warner overdrive transmission, and thought this would be the best place to ask. I believe this is

from a 1935 Desoto Airflow, but have no way of running numbers. On the case reads: "T-85-1 W.G. CO" and on the bottom: "R7 -1F." Any help is appreciated. Thanks....Bill

post-96959-143142228048_thumb.jpg

post-96959-14314222806_thumb.jpg

post-96959-143142228063_thumb.jpg

post-96959-143142228075_thumb.jpg

Guest brickyardboy
I believe this is a 33-34 free wheeling trans. Reason being, the shifter bolts to the cross member. 35 had the shift handle mounted to the trans.

Should be a casting date on trans somewhere.

Thanks for that info Dave. So this transmission would NOT be considered an "overdrive" transmission, but rather a more common "free wheeling" transmission? I thought that if this was an overdrive, I would sink the money into it to re-build it.

Guest JohnArthurSpinks

Bill,

The transmission is a T85 and the overdrive and freewheel on the rear is an R1-1F, not a R7-1F

This transmission is out of a 1935 Desoto Airflow or a 1935 to 1937 Chrysler Airflow.

Sorry to contradict Dave but I know these trannies backwards as I have the same one in my C9 Airflow Coupe and have rebuilt many for clients over the years here in Australia.

I also note that the three speed case could possibly be cracked at one of the transmission to bell housing bolt lugs which incidentally is a common occurrence. I could be wring though but check it just in case.

If you need any information on these transmission please email to johnspinks48@gmail.com .

Regards

John Spinks (Aussie C9 Airflow Coupe)

That is why I said, I would have to research more.

The reason I thought, 33-34, the shifter mounts to the crossmember from the looks of the trans.

The picture I'm posting, the shifter is mounted to the trans.

This came out of a 37.

I'm still in the learning stage. Up until a year ago, didn't even know what a mopar was.

post-78906-143142230414_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143142230405_thumb.jpg

Guest brickyardboy
Bill,

The transmission is a T85 and the overdrive and freewheel on the rear is an R1-1F, not a R7-1F

This transmission is out of a 1935 Desoto Airflow or a 1935 to 1937 Chrysler Airflow.

Sorry to contradict Dave but I know these trannies backwards as I have the same one in my C9 Airflow Coupe and have rebuilt many for clients over the years here in Australia.

I also note that the three speed case could possibly be cracked at one of the transmission to bell housing bolt lugs which incidentally is a common occurrence. I could be wring though but check it just in case.

If you need any information on these transmission please email to johnspinks48@gmail.com .

Regards

Thanks, John, for that valuable information. I checked the bolt lugs for cracks but didn't find any that were visable. I will wire-brush the areas really good and get a good look at them.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JohnArthurSpinks
Thanks, John, for that valuable information. I checked the bolt lugs for cracks but didn't find any that were visable. I will wire-brush the areas really good and get a good look at them.

Hi Dave,

I apologize for the delay in answering.

The T85 is considerably longer than the transmission that you have included and this is evidenced by the T85 having 4 pairs of securing bolts for the shifter top cover whereas the one that you show has 3 pairs of securing bolts.

The T85 has the shifter mounted on the bell housing on a boss and the shift rails actually penetrate the bell housing so as to couple with the lower section of the shifter.

All Airflows employed this system where the shifter was mounted on a boss on the bell housing,

Cheers

John Spinks

• 1 month later...
Guest brickyardboy
Bill,

Regards

So John, would you have any idea what this transmission would be worth? Other than looking at the exterior case, I'm not sure what condition is on the inside. I'm presently draining the oil, and will take the cover off to have a look inside.

Guest JohnArthurSpinks
So John, would you have any idea what this transmission would be worth? Other than looking at the exterior case, I'm not sure what condition is on the inside. I'm presently draining the oil, and will take the cover off to have a look inside.

Well it depends on what its like inside but to give you an example I just paid AUS 500.00 for an identical one here in Aussie and when I dismantled it all I could use was the cases and a few minor bits in the overdrive as the rest of it was rust pitted.

The problem with the rust pitting is that it eventually gets through the hard case hardening on gears etc and it then flakes off causing many failures to occur.

Cheers

JS

Guest brickyardboy
Well it depends on what its like inside but to give you an example I just paid AUS 500.00 for an identical one here in Aussie and when I dismantled it all I could use was the cases and a few minor bits in the overdrive as the rest of it was rust pitted.

The problem with the rust pitting is that it eventually gets through the hard case hardening on gears etc and it then flakes off causing many failures to occur.

Cheers

JS

Thanks, John, for that information. I'll have to see what it looks like inside.

Bill

Hi Dave,

I apologize for the delay in answering.

The T85 is considerably longer than the transmission that you have included and this is evidenced by the T85 having 4 pairs of securing bolts for the shifter top cover whereas the one that you show has 3 pairs of securing bolts.

The T85 has the shifter mounted on the bell housing on a boss and the shift rails actually penetrate the bell housing so as to couple with the lower section of the shifter.

All Airflows employed this system where the shifter was mounted on a boss on the bell housing,

Cheers

John Spinks

Would you have pictures to show this type of set up?

Thanks

Dave

Guest brickyardboy
I have sold one 4 years ago for 1500.00 used.

You did well on that transmission, Dave. I will probably never use my T85, and eventually sell it to someone how needs it.

• 4 months later...
Guest brickyardboy

Both my SGs are now gone, and I won't be needing my T85 transmission, so if someone is interested and needs one of these, I will part with it. This transmission will be sold as-is, and would be needed to be picked up at my location (Massachusetts) because it would be very expensive to ship, and I really don't want to have to go through the trouble of packing and crating it. There are photos of it in the previous posts in this thread, but can take particular shots of it if needed. If you think that you could use this tranny, and could arrange to pick it up, make me an offer.

Guest brickyardboy

I took the cover off and snapped some photos of the inside gearbox. It's hard to tell from these photos, but the gears look good, not any rust.post-96959-143142510054_thumb.jpg

post-96959-143142510019_thumb.jpg

post-96959-143142510028_thumb.jpg

post-96959-143142510034_thumb.jpg

post-96959-143142510041_thumb.jpg

post-96959-143142510048_thumb.jpg

Guest brickyardboy

I wire-brushed the bolt lugs, and they all look good, no cracks.

• 4 weeks later...
Both my SGs are now gone, and I won't be needing my T85 transmission, so if someone is interested and needs one of these, I will part with it. This transmission will be sold as-is, and would be needed to be picked up at my location (Massachusetts) because it would be very expensive to ship, and I really don't want to have to go through the trouble of packing and crating it. There are photos of it in the previous posts in this thread, but can take particular shots of it if needed. If you think that you could use this tranny, and could arrange to pick it up, make me an offer.

I think it would help that you start a new thread in the Mopar,airflow for sale columns etc. Its buried in here and people looking for sale item wouldn't think of looking in here for a trans for sale. Hope this helps. GLWS

Guest brickyardboy

Thanks. It just seems that someone would want or need this transmission, so I'm probably not hitting my target audience. I'll try to run it in "Buy/Sell, Chrysler Products."

Guest brickyardboy
Past experience, I would also put it in the buy and sell column. More audience share that. It's at the beginning of the forum. Lot of visitors see that first because they are new here and don't know how to navigate this yet.

Thanks, good idea. I've put it in the Buy/Sell column in the beginning of the forum.

Guest brickyardboy

I'm pretty sure this is a top shifter like Dave has mentioned above. The shifter was located in front of the top plate rather than on top of it. (See photo) The linkage on the side of the transmission was used to control the overdrive/freewheeling mechanism. post-96959-143142563401_thumb.jpg

post-96959-143142563401_thumb.jpg

Guest brickyardboy
This appears to be side shifted? Is it easily converted to a top shift like the other transmission in the thread? Even though I'm selling my car I may be interested in the transmission.

What part of MA are you in? I'm in NY state up near Lake George.

I'm located in Western, MA (Southampton, MA) probably about two hours from Lake George. You can check out this trans. if you'd like. Just let me know, and I can send you exact location. (413-529-0578) Bill

Here are photos of a 37 DeSoto trans and bell.post-39071-143142570824_thumb.jpgthere is a difference in bell and shifter arrangement between the Chrysler and DeSoto. The junkyard where I got my 37 DeSoto transmission and bellhousing had another DeSoto in the yard either a 37 or 38 that had a complete running gear, Klingers in Pine Grove Pennsylvania

post-39071-143142570798_thumb.jpg

post-39071-143142570805_thumb.jpg

post-39071-143142570811_thumb.jpg

post-39071-143142570817_thumb.jpg

post-39071-143142570798_thumb.jpg

post-39071-143142570805_thumb.jpg

post-39071-143142570811_thumb.jpg

post-39071-143142570817_thumb.jpg

post-39071-143142570824_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...