Grandpas 1953 Buick 56R 2-door Hard Top still in the family

Guest scenarioL113

Guest scenarioL113

I just re-acquired my Grandfathers 1953 56R that he purchased on January 23, 1953. He passed away in 1966 (4 yrs before I was born). It has been garaged kept and has 30,000 original miles on her.

Story goes the car was not driven much from 1966 thru 1986 when my Grandmother passed away. At that point my Dad sold it to my cousin who has had it until last week when I got the opportunity to buy it back. My dad only sold it bc he had his 49 Olds coupe and a 65 vette coupe. No room for the 53 Buick and he figured he was keeping it in the family by selling it to our cousin.

I jumped at the chance because of the history and sentimental value it has to me. The car had been repainted and looks pretty good. I will have it repainted in the future just bc I dont think it was done all that great. Looks real good now but there are a few very minor scratched and a small dent or two. The carpet was replaced but other than that it is ALL original. My grandparents had the seats and the door interior panels and rear interior panels (below the rear windows) covered with upholstery covers by a local upholsterer. I even have the receipt for them which were done in Feb 1953.

To my surprise my cousin had all the original paperwork from when the vehicle was purchased new. When I tell you everything I mean everything. The tag from the rearview mirror that tells the dealer "do not remove", the Buick insurance contracts, the Buick membership card with grandpas name and vin of car, the Buick coupons for the 1000 and 2000 mile services that ALL have the VIN and his name typed on them....etc etc etc... original contract and bill of sale as well. Incredible to have all this documented stuff with the vehicle.

Car runs very well and everything seems to work as it should. Chrome is in good shape too. Front and rear bumpers were rechromed.

The factory upholstery on the front and rear seats have never been touched since 1953. I peeked under the covers and all looks real good. Prob could use a cleaning but I wont mess with them at this point. I prob will leave the covers on for now. The covers could use some repair but what is underneath is as new!

I even have the registrations and my grandfathers drivers license from that era. Its not a showcar at this point but will be in the future.

post-96931-143142226542_thumb.jpg

post-96931-14314222653_thumb.jpg

post-96931-143142226537_thumb.jpg

post-96931-14314222654_thumb.jpg

53 Buick Super 56 R: Good

Great condition as it sits: Better

Full original Documentation: Awesome

Buying GrandPa's original 53 Buick...Priceless!!!

It just does not get any better than this!!! Congratulations! Hope you are a BCA member already, or soon to be one.

Guest scenarioL113

They lived in Laurelton Queens. (the address on the bill of sale pic). Car was purchased in Brooklyn on Coney Island ave. I remember as a kid going to Grandmas house on Sundays and that car was in the garage under sheets she sewed together to keep the dust off of it. I can remember the tires always being flat when I would peek under when I was playing in the garage, haha. I never thought I would get the chance to have it from my cousin. Crazy thing is me and my Grandfather share the same name so to see all the documentation in "My" name blows my mind.

Guest scenarioL113

Here are a few more. Note the original seat covers, they are a bit beat up. Better them than the seats themselves!

Notice the door panel covers too!

post-96931-143142226652_thumb.jpg

The clock even works and keeps good time!

post-96931-143142226636_thumb.jpg

post-96931-143142226646_thumb.jpg

Here are a few more. Note the original seat covers, they are a bit beat up. Better them than the seats themselves!

Notice the door panel covers too!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]217813[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]217814[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]217815[/ATTACH]

The clock even works and keeps good time!

What a time capsule.......something to be really proud of.

I have never heard of someone covering the door panels of a car. Your Grand parents certainly did a great job of preserving the car.

Guest scenarioL113

Well they covered their furniture in their house with plastic too! Haha, typical of the older generation of Italian heritage.

• 3 weeks later...

ScenarioL113,

I just found this thread...What a great looking Buick and perfect just the way it is. I would like to invite you to a Long Island Buick club meeting. We hold our monthly membership meeting on the second Thursday of each month at 8pm at clubhouse in Marjorie Post Park in Massapequa, almost around the corner from you...and bring your Buick of course many of us do including myself with my 47 Special. If you would like to see our Sept/Oct Newsletter, send me a P.M. with your e-mail address.

Thanks, Frank