A few '50 Ford questions...

1. Where to get parts?

2. where are the electrical hook up's for the horns (on the horns)? There are two threaded female holes in the "front" of the horns...accessible through holes in the grille support...are those the electrical connections for the horns?

3. Is this particular car known for, or have a reputation for experiencing vapor lock?

Thanks!

Hmmm.

How about this: Is there a forum for '50 Fords where questions actually get answered? I'm guessing that since this one is so slow (top 8 of the top 15 posts -going back to the beginning of Sept- have "0 Replies"), there must be another place where people talk about this Generation Ford? Thanks...again! :)

Tom these motors did have vapor lock problems. Todays gas with alcohol will make the problem worse. If you are having a vapor lock problem try insulating the fuel line between the fuel pump and carb. also check the fuel pump push rod for wear a common problem on this engine. Bill

Thanks for the posts, guys.

It's not my car, I am working on it for the owner and HE tells me that it always vapor locked unless he ran the electric fuel pump (someone previously installed an cheap-o electric pump inline, before the mechanical pump). Well, the cobbled together fuel line from the left fender well to the carb had at least 15 joints in the thing...several of which leaked and two of the leaks were before the mechanical pump. Those are basically air leaks, since that part of the system is "suction". The electric fuel pump is also somewhat of a restriction when not running, so that also increases the burden on the mechanical fuel pump. The line had brake line fittings (flared fittings with flare nuts) at the inlets of the mechanical fuel pump and carb...which those won't work/seal at all there. Previous mechanic had tried to use teflon tape to seal it. (?)

I ripped all that junk out, and installed a single hose to a JIC into the mechanical pump, then a single hose pump>carb with JIC fittings on either end. I made sure the sediment bowl was seated proper and no air leak there (it originally was sucking air) and now it pumps fuel like a champ. When I run it hard, I can only get the fuel pump up to about 100*F -it mounted so high off the engine. All this had me thinking; maybe the car had a "rep" for vapor lock because of air leaks, and not vapor lock. Unfortunately, it's hard to test now b/c it's fall/cooler outside. I guess time will tell but right now, observing how it works and how hot components get when I run it hard, I can't imagine it having issues. We'll see.

• 4 weeks later...

Tom, you are correct that a lot of vapor lock problems are due to vacuum leaks on the input to the fuel pump. others are caused by such things as a rust clogged line or a bad ignition coil.

I do not recommend using rubber fuel line from the tank. The steel lines seem to hold up better in the heat. Of course you must use a flex line between the steel line and the pump, but it should be kept to 8-12" long.

These questions are answered all the time on the Early Ford V-8 Club's website. https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/index.cfm

'