Hupmobile Model 20 headlights

Guest Tom Bastian

Guest Tom Bastian

I finally got the courage to light the acetylene headlights and risk a headlamp explosion or brass meltdown. I have no regulator and had to use valve open position to control the gas flow. I made sure both headlamp lenses were open before turning on the gas flow to avoid a build-up. I first found a lot of leaks on the base and flames going everywhere below the burner area. I used clear silicone seal to coat the areas where I observed extra burning.

Tonight, I tried again and seem to have sealed the leaks, and got a good, clean flame above the vee of the burners. Nice bright light that was stable and could easily be used for driving. I lit the karosene carriage and tail lights and took some pictures.

post-90281-143142223379_thumb.jpg

post-90281-143142223364_thumb.jpg

post-90281-143142223368_thumb.jpg

post-90281-143142223372_thumb.jpg

post-90281-143142223375_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tom Bastian
spellcheck (see edit history)

great pics, a view you don't see often....

The very first time I lit the lights on my Hupp 20, went on a gaslight tour in Gettysburg...parking the car in the town square, I shut the engine off but left the lights burning...when I went back to crank the car, I did just what I always did, grabbed the crank with my right hand and laid my left on the headlight.....yikes....had a burn the size of a biscuit, and a reverse "E&J" could be read in my palm....

• Haha 1

Guest Tom Bastian

I have an original Prestolite Acetylene tank mounted on the left between the body and the rear fender. I took pictures of it before I painted it to record the wording imprinted on it, then reproduced the wording on paper which I taped in place. The tank came filled. Don't know how old the gas is, but it seems to have a steady pressure and burns fine.

post-90281-143142227872_thumb.jpg

post-90281-143142227868_thumb.jpg

Guest Tom Bastian
That may be authentic antique gas, Tom. I wonder if you can get it refilled when it's empty.

Phil

I believe some old tanks can be hydroburst tested and recertified, however, I have also heard that tanks with built-in guages are not eligible. Since my tank has a guage in the bottom, I think it becomes a non-functonal show item once it is empty. Then I will have to get an MC size tank and mount it under the car somewhere. Tanks cannot be mounted horizontally unless they have an offset valve, as the originals do. I don't think this offset is available in today's tanks.

post-90281-143142233155_thumb.jpg

post-90281-143142233146_thumb.jpg

• 5 years later...

You have focussed and inspired me to get our Thomas Flyer with the Acetylene lights working. Will check out our Prestolite tanke and see if Wolfgang Gawor made it to work, or with another (hidden) tank, BUT I want to see this grand old car chugging along with its original lights working!

_B4A8901-3 (Medium).jpg

20180930_123111 (Medium).jpg

IMG_4138 (Medium).jpeg