1925 Hudson

Guest Sanddoc

Guest Sanddoc

A friend brought me a 1925 Hudson, no body, can run...at least I got it to start and run after sitting

for 30 years.

I don't have any knowledge of these cars, I mean I know some basics, but what I don't know

about this one is the right lever on the steering wheel, does not seem to go to the throttle

I know it operates rod and lever that goes underneath the dist.

but any info on the Hudson would be appreciated.

we are going to need to make a seat, floorboards, it has a "crappy" aluminum boattail on it now...

needs original style steering wheel, "big"

What about a altenator in a generator casing, I've heard of them, but have not found one yet on the net

Best

Dave

Guest Sanddoc

hello

there is a distributor advance on the steering wheel, left position, its the one on the right that

moves a rod and connects under the distributor..

most of these that I have seen with cranks still available were for the throttle control

best

Dave

If you don't get any answers here, you might try posting your question at the Hudson Essex Terraplane Open Forum http://forum.hetclub.org/ . If your friend intends to hold onto his Hudson for awhile, he might consider joining the Hudson-Essex-Terraplane Club, which is a great clearinghouse of information and parts for both older and newer Hudsons. The Club's website at http://hetclub.org has a section with downloadable manuals, parts lists and sales literature for different years; these are available to Club members.

Edited by Jon37 (see edit history)

You will have two leavers on your streering wheel. one for throtle and one for spark advance/retard.

The linkages you are refering to that are under the distibutar housing go to the oil pump and controll the stroke of the pump.You will want to find the max stroke on you pump and dummy up the leaver so that it stays in a fixed possition of maximum stroke. ( it was a bad Idea Hudson had )

You MUST make sure that you have oil pressure from you pump. 2 to 5lbs is all you will get and need. If you do not have oil pressure, you will strarve your dipper tray and run a bearing.

Please post a photo of what you have.

Guest Sanddoc

Thanks for the info

Hi Paul, you seem to know what these cars are about, so let me ask you some questions if you don't mine.

I just toasted the points... do you know of a supplier for the cap, rotor, points?

second. OK the right lever is for oil... good

so the left lever retards and advaces the distributor, good to know..

I spent about 8 hours cleaning all the fuel lines and taking about the carb to clean it.. was it clogged up.

Is it better to start the car with full advance or retarded... and if you know what direction are those up down, sideways?

just a little fun

Do you know of anyone that makes a alt for this car, that looks like a gen, or just point me in the right

direction.

Like I said, I'm working on about 5 cars from the 30's 2 Hudsons, a Chandler, Chrysler, or ok only 4...

I wish I could afford to join every club, but its not realistic, for me.. I already spend hrs a night just trying to learn

more about each of these cars...

again thank you both, hope Paul you can be of further help

Best

Dave

PS: do you know the plug and plug gap?

and the Dist is a Bosch No. 6 3 Type 1 6100

need points, rotor, cap..

Best

Sanddoc,

-All your ignition needs are readily evadible in the HET club magazine called the White Triangle News.

-The levers on the steering wheel- One is for advance/ retard. The other is for throttle.

-You do not want to put an alt. on this car. The original charging system will work fine for you for regular driving.

- you will always want to start the car in full retard, then, as soon as it fires up bring it back to full advanced.

- I'm not going to tell you the direction of the levers. You need to understand that on your own so that you better understand your car. It's easy, just pop off the cap, get the hand crank out and watch the direction of the rotor. Then figure out advaned spark by the direction the dist. moves, same for retard.

Same with the throttle, get under the hood, watch the linkage, understand how it works. Every car is differant on how it she will fire, you just need to get to know her.

on our 25 to start. full choke for less than one crank then push in choke lever......purrrrrrrr

- the plugs you want to use are 18mm long reach Champion D-16 gap at 25 thou.

This is very important as I stated in my first post.. You Must have oil pressure of 2 to 5 lbs !! If you do not, turn the motor off. If the car has not ran for a long time the oil pump can get sticky.

Jon37 is always telling Hudson people where to go on this form ( LOL ) The sites he has recomended are all good for Hudsons in general, but the best for us "old time Hudson " people is at

http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/HudsonSuperSix16-29/info .... and its free. The people thier are only interested in the old Hudsons, ( the good ones )

Good luck and ask all the questions you want. And please.... Post some pictures!!

Paul

Guest Sanddoc

Paul, I appreciate your help

and learning what operates what on the car important. The left lever was easy to figure out, up turns the dist (left) advace

as the dist turns clockwise, down is away, retard..

the right lever does not in this case attache in anyway to the carb. I took the carb off yesterday to clean it... oh boy

the inlet screen was caked with soot... The right lever moves the rod ends up under the Dist.

I tried to find a supplier for the points on the "white triangle news" site last night... still looking, I think NAPA might

have a listiing as they go back pre 1930

I sent a email to a member of the SoCal Hudson club this morning... to have a local contact

Thanks again for your assistance.

Best

Dave

I got it sorted out for you. I was wrong on my later post. I get messed up some times because some of our Hudson's are right hand drive.

In the photos I'm posting are showing what you are missing. At the base of the steering wheel you should have two rods going to the front of your motor and one going to under the floor boards. It's the one going aft that you are missing. This links the foot throttle pedal to the to the hand lever. post-72691-14314222995_thumb.jpg

I hope this is clear.

post-72691-143142229947_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...
Guest hudson1926
[ATTACH=CONFIG]218155[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]218156[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]218157[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]218158[/ATTACH]

Hello can you send more pictures at carburator and how it is locked in engine?

We need pictures at ours projekt because we have hudson super six year model 1926 fire car/truck and we fixing carburator and it is difficult without pictures

Yours

Vesa-Matti Vapaavuori

City of Salo Valuenteer Fire Department

Hudson super six 1926 restoration group member

Guest Sanddoc

Hello. what country are you from?

I am no longer associated with that project. I might be able to contact the owner and go over and take some pictures of the engine\carburator.

Please send me your email address directly at (sanddoc@gmail.com) and I'll try to send you some pictures..

Best

Dave

Vesa-Matti:

Here you can find pages from a 1927 repair manual (for all marques of cars), some of which concern Stewart carburetors. http://old-carburetors.com/1927-Dykes.htm

Here is a repair manual for 1926 Hudsons. On page 59 you will find a brief section on repair of the carburetor. http://www.hudsonterraplane.com/tech/1926/1926HudsonEssexShopManual.pdf

Here is a company that sells repair kits for the Stewart Model 25 as used in your Hudson: http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Khudson.htm

If you have further questions about your Hudson, you can post them here, and you can also post them at the Hudson Forum at http://classiccar.com/forum/categories/hudson

Edited by Jon37 (see edit history)