Oldsmobile podcast featuring Florence Henderson and Bill Hayes

Guest Gone Autos

Guest Gone Autos

Hi, Oldsmobile fans.

Todd Ruel here. I run an orphan car web site called Gone Autos.

This past week, I published a podcast featuring Florence Henderson and Bill Hayes talking about their days as Oldsmobile spokespeople.

I'm sure there are many Olds fans who don't know that Henderson and Hayes starred in several expensive Oldsmobile stage musicals as well as TV shows and commercials back in the 1950s and 60s. They did all of that before starring in The Brady Bunch and Days of Our Lives.

To read about these shows and to download the podcast for listening, go to my blog entry about Henderson, Hayes, and the Oldsmobile dealer announcement shows.

I think you'll really enjoy it.

But here's a WARNING: if your masculinity is threatened by Broadway-style show tunes, DO NOT DOWNLOAD THIS PODCAST. The podcast is filled with musical samples from vintage Oldsmobile musicals. If that's a problem for you, just climb into your 442, and slowly back away.

For the rest of you, I hope you enjoy the podcast. Florence and Bill clearly had fun doing those shows, and you can still hear in their voices how much they enjoyed them 50+ years later.

Have fun, Oldsmobile fans!

----Todd Ruel

Top Wrench, Gone Autos

www.goneautos.com

Florence's Olds connection is well known here- a few years back a Forum member had got hold of the 1961 Starfire Olds gave her which apparently had some "special" trim over and above normal Starfire. We contacted her and she remembered the car well. Florence is a class act. Besides, who didn't love Mrs. Brady?

Guest Gone Autos
Florence's Olds connection is well known here- a few years back a Forum member had got hold of the 1961 Starfire Olds gave her which apparently had some "special" trim over and above normal Starfire. We contacted her and she remembered the car well. Florence is a class act. Besides, who didn't love Mrs. Brady?

I read that thread while doing research for my interview. That's why I asked them both if Oldsmobile gave them cars to drive. I was trying to tease some details out of them.

----Todd Ruel

The 2007 thread that IDed Florence Henderson's Starfire was one of the most memorable to ever appear on this forum. However minimal, I'm glad to have played a role in it.

Todd, thank you very much for the link to the podcast. It is a fabulous effort on your part. I can only imagine the convolutions you must have gone through just to get both Florence Henderson and Bill Hayes on the line simultaneously, let alone to reminisce for an hour about working with Olds over 50 years ago. I knew of of Florence Henderson's involvement in Oldsmobile commercials, but I had no idea about the lavish stage productions that the division apparently mounted to introduce the new models to its dealers. What a truly fascinating glimpse into another time.

Show tunes or not, this podcast is well-worth a listen for anyone intersted in Oldsmobiles of this era!

Great work, Todd, & thanks again!

Chuck

Guest Gone Autos
The 2007 thread that IDed Florence Henderson's Starfire was one of the most memorable to ever appear on this forum. However minimal, I'm glad to have played a role in it.

Todd, thank you very much for the link to the podcast. It is a fabulous effort on your part. I can only imagine the convolutions you must have gone through just to get both Florence Henderson and Bill Hayes on the line simultaneously, let alone to reminisce for an hour about working with Olds over 50 years ago. I knew of of Florence Henderson's involvement in Oldsmobile commercials, but I had no idea about the lavish stage productions that the division apparently mounted to introduce the new models to its dealers. What a truly fascinating glimpse into another time.

Show tunes or not, this podcast is well-worth a listen for anyone intersted in Oldsmobiles of this era!

Great work, Todd, & thanks again!

Chuck

Chuck,

It's words like yours that keep me doing what I do. I'm actually a terrible mechanic and not too interested in fixing or restoring cars (without some major help), but I love telling stories about them. And this was a good one. We all help the hobby in different ways.

Tell everyone about the podcast, okay?

Humble gratitude--------Todd Ruel