What should I do?

sambarn

So I'm hoping y'all can offer some advice. I'm showing the 1948 Keller in class 35B at Hershey. The car is a very authentic restoration, leaving every possible piece original and a great deal of effort went into allowing the true prototype nature if this car to show through. Bad metal work, chintzy hand cut rubber floors, poor wood on the original cieling frame work, body panels that don't line up, parts from at least a dozen other cars in it ( from the factory) and horrid scratches in the glass panels from sanders at the factory( the same bad glass is on all three remaining cars, matching sander marks and all).

Im afraid that the judging team is not going to be aware that, sitting with deloreans and kaiser- darrins and Nash-Healeys is a true factory prototype or engineering mule. It's build quality is fairly awful but is dead on correct. I have notebooks if photos from the factory and most of the body alignment issues can be seen but will every judge believe that the voltage rectifuer IS and was from a 1940 ford or that the air cleaner is from a 36 Chevy truck or that the gauges and dash inset panels are from a 37 Pontiac. Will they even ask or take for granted I've used other car parts to complete the car.

We are hoping to get our senior and small details matter. My question is this. Would it be a good idea to call the chief judge and try to help prep them. Would this seem to leading or needy? I'll have the car there all week and can give a ten to two hundred minute CJE style class on how the cars were built. What do y'all think??

Edited by sambarn (see edit history)

I know nothing about a 1948 Keller.

As long as you are going to be present when the car is judged, when the Team Captain introduces himself or herself to you, I would simply tell the Team Captain that you have documentation of the poor build quality of the car as it is a prototype/engineering mule, whichever term is most appropriate.

Guest billybird

Yes, documentation is the key. By the way; I talked to you in Tenn. and saw the car. Friday I believe it was. I thought the car was so cool. If you were able to win at Tenn. maybe thats a good sign.

So I'm hoping y'all can offer some advice. I'm showing the 1948 Keller in class 35B at Hershey. The car is a very authentic restoration, leaving every possible piece original and a great deal of effort went into allowing the true prototype nature if this car to show through. Bad metal work, chintzy hand cut rubber floors, poor wood on the original cieling frame work, body panels that don't line up, parts from at least a dozen other cars in it ( from the factory) and horrid scratches in the glass panels from sanders at the factory( the same bad glass is on all three remaining cars, matching sander marks and all).

Im afraid that the judging team is not going to be aware that, sitting with deloreans and kaiser- darrins and Nash-Healeys is a true factory prototype or engineering mule. It's build quality is fairly awful but is dead on correct. I have notebooks if photos from the factory and most of the body alignment issues can be seen but will every judge believe that the voltage rectifuer IS and was from a 1940 ford or that the air cleaner is from a 36 Chevy truck or that the gauges and dash inset panels are from a 37 Pontiac. Will they even ask or take for granted I've used other car parts to complete the car.

We are hoping to get our senior and small details matter. My question is this. Would it be a good idea to call the chief judge and try to help prep them. Would this seem to leading or needy? I'll have the car there all week and can give a ten to two hundred minute CJE style class on how the cars were built. What do y'all think??

sambarn: FWIW; here is my opinion. In some respect this is what happened to me at the AACA Grand National this year. Don't know too much about class 35B

but if some entries show up in that class with recent over-restored restoration I believe you will take a hit in the points. Talking to the chief judge may or may not

help depending if time permits. At the G/N it was raining on/off all day and there was no time for nothing. Even if documention is shown the judges are only human and will still compare car vs. car. Larry P.S.Your car reminds of the 1968 Corvette; full of flaws at introduction.

The hard part is that I worked really hard to not over restore it allowing some really awful craftsmanship to remain. Thanks for all of your inputs. I still think I should call and give a heads up to the judge. After it's junior judging where I never met the team captain, wasn't asked a single question and never utilized the documentation I brought, I'm afraid with the 35B position that I will either get judges prepping for their class 36 sixties production car fiesta or tired guys who just finished vettes and t birds( like last time). I may also be completely irrational and Hershey region already has a team of highly experienced judges who are looking forward to judging such a rare thing as a restored prototype. Thanks again for any suggestions you have.

I'm afraid with the 35B position that I will either get judges prepping for their class 36 sixties production car fiesta or tired guys who just finished vettes and t birds( like last time). I may also be completely irrational and Hershey region already has a team of highly experienced judges who are looking forward to judging such a rare thing as a restored prototype. Thanks again for any suggestions you have.

Sam, the Cleveland show had really tough working conditions for the judges. I really do not think that the Hershey judges working your class will be also judging T-birds and Corvettes. They will be more specialized. May I suggest that you bring a copies of what you wrote above to paperclip to your judging score sheet. You can never be too prepared.

Good luck and see you next week.

Wayne

The hard part is that I worked really hard to not over restore it allowing some really awful craftsmanship to remain. Thanks for all of your inputs. I still think I should call and give a heads up to the judge. After it's junior judging where I never met the team captain, wasn't asked a single question and never utilized the documentation I brought, I'm afraid with the 35B position that I will either get judges prepping for their class 36 sixties production car fiesta or tired guys who just finished vettes and t birds( like last time). I may also be completely irrational and Hershey region already has a team of highly experienced judges who are looking forward to judging such a rare thing as a restored prototype. Thanks again for any suggestions you have.

sambarn: I restored my car with the same criteria as yours. I wanted the car to look original(nothing more; nothing less) even with the known flaws. It did

not work out for me as there where just too many over restored cars in my class which where all flawless. I wish you luck and let us know what happens. Larry

Thanks Wayne good idea. I will have mucho documentation. I guess I'm just nervous. I've never actually done this before and the Keller is SO weird. I will be with the car and not judging so I can be. I sure am gonna miss Hershey judges breakfast and this will put a hole in the Hershey judge hat and car collection. Hopefully I can fill that hole with a duryea trophy!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Indeed it was a pleasure to see. I spent considerable time looking it over, taking some pics, etc. I enjoyed seeing all the info and visiting also. Thanks so much for bringing it out. Remember, judges often look at vehicles like this for the educational value they can impart. A judge should always be in a learning mode!

Terry