I-81 and Rt322 Intersection

Jim Bollman

We normally come down Rt 322 and then take I-81 North to Rt 39 to go in to Hershey. There was a Tanker crash on the I-81 - 322 overpass back in May that apparently required major bridge repair/replacement from what I read at the time. Is this area back to normal or should I plan a different route?

Hi, Bill...hope all is well.

You should have no problems at all. I have taken the same route for months now on business trips out your way and Ohio. (You will go underneath all the bridge reconstruction without any issues.)

What I would do however is watch the speed limits through Clarks Ferry over the Susquehanna River after you come off I am assuming Rt. 15 South. Practically all summer there have been speed traps set up around the Red Rabbitt restaurant.

Regards,

Peter.

We normally come down Rt 322 and then take I-81 North to Rt 39 to go in to Hershey. There was a Tanker crash on the I-81 - 322 overpass back in May that apparently required major bridge repair/replacement from what I read at the time. Is this area back to normal or should I plan a different route?
Jim,

Due to the traffic around the capital city beltway (I-81 & 322), we have been turning off onto route #39 right off of Route #322. If you're coming down Route #322, there is an exit for Route #39 that drops down into Hershey. It might take you more time, but there is a whole lot less traffic. We've found with the truck and car trailer that taking Route #322 all the way into Hershey (Hersheypark Blvd) can be a pain in the butt because people don't want to give you the room to change lanes.

Being that we stay at Fort Indiantown Gap, we take Route #322 and get off at the exit for Route #443 and take that right into FTIG. The exit for Route #39 is an exit or two between Route #443 and I-81. Aside from going over or under a bridge, we never touch I-81 the whole time we're down there. We're leaving Monday, we'll see you down there.