model a distributor instalation

Guest johnny cermak

Guest johnny cermak

Hello,

I am rebuilding my first model a motor and am not sure how to install the distributer and the gear that drives it properly so that the timing is correct. Anybody have words for me?

No gear on the distributor side - the gear is part of the oil pump which you can stick in at any gear tooth - it does not matter at this time.

Once your engine is assembled and installed you will need to time your distributor which you do by setting the cam lobe inside the distributor to match the engine - first you align the engine to #1 TDC using a pin thru the front cover (thats the funny bolt sticking out of the front passengers side) by removing it and flipping it around - then hand cranking the engine till it hits a detent area in the cam gear - once you have TDC using that pin you loosen the distributor cam and move it to match the correct cylinder using an ohm meter across the points. It's easy after you do it a few times, but sounds funny written out.

There are mechanics manuals written by Les Andrews which are around $35.00 in all the ford parts suppliers catalogs - get Volume 1 as the information there is reffered to every time I do things like this. I have 2 copies now - one so greasy it can hardly be read.

The distributor only goes in one way. The drive shaft and the dist.shaft both have a slotted end that fits into the drive . You have to readjust the timing after the distributor is in. Just follow the timing instructions in any Model A Ford manual; it's quite simple. TDC can be found quickly by removing the timing pin in the front cover and inserting the round end back into the hole. With pressure against the pin, turn the engine with the crank until the pin drops into the indent in the timing gear. Now you can adjust the rotor cam to set your timing.

Remember the crankshaft, which you are turning with the hand crank, turns twice for every turn of the camshaft which turns the distributor shaft. When you're approaching #1 TDC you'll see the rotor getting close to the front right contact in the dist body. It's easy to pass the pin indent and you have to go two more turns around. Stop a little bit before the indent and let the compression bleed off,then it's easy to feel the indent.

Another method I was told by an old(er) mechanic was to use a 10-penny nail - hold it on an angle in the timing hole so that you feel the indent just prior to it passing by the hole - then switch to the pin and use a light touch for the last few degrees. Bleeding off the compression as Dave mentioned is a good idea too.