FOR SALE: 1948 Lincoln Convertible

Matt Harwood

With the death of the Zephyr in 1942, all non-Continentals became simply "Lincolns". Underneath, however, this convertible is the same as the Continental, but given that I've never seen another one like this, I'm guessing they're quite a bit more unusual. This one has a nice older restoration that's in very good condition today. The front end is familiar to anyone who's seen a post-war Continental, but I personally really like the sloping rear deck compared to the bustle-back look of the Continental, and the quarter windows give it a much more graceful profile, don't you think? Maroon paint is always the right choice on cars of this vintage, if not particularly adventurous, but the finish remains shiny with only a few blemishes that are age-related and not really damage. The chrome is in good condition, particularly the grille, which, on these cars, can cost a fortune to restore, and the two-tier bumpers are straight and clean. And just between you and me, I much prefer having real door handles on the outside of my car rather than push-buttons.

The interior is handsome black leather that's in better shape than the photos would indicate--black is really hard to photograph properly. There are a few creases, but it is supple and comfortable with firm underpinnings that make it a great tour candidate. Matching black carpets are neatly bound and the door panels are really slick-looking with dramatic curves on the arm rest and a neat map pocket underneath. All the gauges are functional save for the clock (and radio, sadly), and the power windows and top work like they should. It's equipped with a heater/defroster unit and that "O" knob on the lower half of the dash is for the fully operational overdrive. Even the steering wheel is in great shape, although it's not the cool red transparent plastic you find in the Continentals--I suppose they had to cut back somewhere. The trunk is much, much larger than the Continental's, again making this a great choice for touring.

The engine is the same 292 cubic inch V12 that was used throughout the Lincoln lineup. Fully rebuilt at the time of restoration, it runs extremely well and exhibits none of the temperamental behavior that used to give these engines a bad reputation (which was undeserved, in my opinion). It's no longer detailed for show, but it wears correct green engine enamel, an oil bath air cleaner, and a generator up top. It starts easily and idles almost silently, and even though it's a little smaller than some of its competitors, it's incomparably smooth. Get it rolling and it whispers along at highway speeds thanks to the overdrive. The undercarriage is both over-detailed (painted to match the body) and under-detailed (a bit grungy from being driven) but everything is in place and it all works like it should. It's also got a new exhaust system and good wide whites on the original wheels.

Handsome and unusual, this will become a favorite if you like to drive. Asking $54,900 and we're always open to reasonable offers. Thanks for reading!

post-31138-143142206828_thumb.jpg

post-31138-14314220683_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142206832_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142206835_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142206837_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142206839_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142207095_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142207097_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142207099_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142207102_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142207104_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142207106_thumb.jpg

Edited by Matt Harwood
Updated information (see edit history)

Guest joe hill

Matt Great looking Lincoln. The 1942 Lincoln Zephyr was the last year of the Zephyr name, 46,47,48 were called Lincoln, even through the 42 has a lot of interchangeable parts. The 42 and early 46 came with a 305 C.I. motor. You have one beautiful convertible.

Joe, LZOC,LCOC,AACA