A BUICK SPECIAL RIVIERA 1953 IN PARIS

ABV

Thank you very much for your comments, I do appreciate.

The weather was fine here this week end.

And we managed to climb up to Montmartre.

It has been a good opportunity to check the brakes !..

So far so good

155499150.jpg

155499151.jpg

155499153.jpg

155499154.jpg

155499155.jpg

155499156.jpg

155499157.jpg

Edited by ABV (see edit history)

How cool, a Buick in Paris! Strangely enough I find it extra special when French people love American cars. You do not see them a lot. So great you can appreciate Buicks :) I normally only drive in The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany and Scandinavia with old American cars but I was thinking about visiting the southern part of our continent some day too. This only makes me more enthusiastic about that idea. Nice pictures and it does look so at home in Paris :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Rainy Week end. Didn’t feel like going out.</SPAN></SPAN>

So I just took some macro pictures as an entertainment. </SPAN></SPAN>

It was much easier than with a butterfly or a bee… since the car does not move !! </SPAN></SPAN>

This will certainly be a new photo project: macro pictures of the Buick !</SPAN></SPAN>

155815160.jpg</SPAN></SPAN>

155815155.jpg</SPAN></SPAN>

155815156.jpg</SPAN></SPAN>

155815157.jpg</SPAN></SPAN>

155815158.jpg</SPAN></SPAN>

155815159.jpg</SPAN></SPAN>

155815161.jpg</SPAN></SPAN>

155815162.jpg</SPAN></SPAN>

155499143.jpg</SPAN></SPAN>

155499144.jpg</SPAN></SPAN>

Pics of the WE…</SPAN></SPAN>

My purpose is just to show what kind of cars me and my Buick (my Buick and I) meet.</SPAN></SPAN>

But tell me if you consider that I should only load Buicks pics.</SPAN></SPAN>

155925319.jpg</SPAN></SPAN>

155925321.jpg</SPAN></SPAN>

155925322.jpg</SPAN></SPAN>

155925323.jpg</SPAN></SPAN>

155925324.jpg</SPAN></SPAN>

155925325.jpg</SPAN></SPAN>

155925326.jpg</SPAN></SPAN>

155925327.jpg</SPAN></SPAN>

155925329.jpg</SPAN></SPAN>

155925330.jpg</SPAN></SPAN>

155925331.jpg</SPAN></SPAN>

155925332.jpg</SPAN></SPAN>

155925333.jpg</SPAN></SPAN>

155925334.jpg</SPAN></SPAN>

155925335.jpg</SPAN></SPAN>

155925336.jpg</SPAN></SPAN>

155925337.jpg</SPAN></SPAN>

155925338.jpg</SPAN></SPAN>

155925339.jpg</SPAN></SPAN>

• 2 weeks later...

Nice photos, ABV. Keep them coming.

One thing I do with my '55 is roll the vent windows closed and the back windows down, so it looks a little "cleaner" in photos.

Do you have the plug wire cover (with everything on the engine, should not be able to see the spark plugs).

Thank you very much for your comments.</SPAN></SPAN>

@ Smith brother (msg n°46): pictures without fender skirts should come soon</SPAN></SPAN>

@mstanleyfl (msg n°54): Yes indeed, beautiful girl. I didn’t dare asking her phone number… She had been married for only two hours !!! ;-)</SPAN></SPAN>

@Eric W (msg n°55 (good number for a message from you !)): Sorry, still not yet exactly what you expect for the windows… but I promise, I will improve</SPAN></SPAN>

As to the plug wire cover and the spark plugs, you were right. I realized it was missing thanks to your message. I received the car that way, with no cover.</SPAN></SPAN>

I Will try to find one on internet.</SPAN></SPAN>

By the way: Excellent work on your rear springs and I love the videos you did from the back seat of your car.</SPAN></SPAN>

Alain.</SPAN></SPAN>

156240707.jpg</SPAN></SPAN>

156240708.jpg</SPAN></SPAN>

156243828.jpg</SPAN></SPAN>

• 2 weeks later...

Alain,

The plug covers are not difficult to find. I found a replacement for my missing cover without any trouble in the Buick Bugle. Are you a member of the Buick Club of America? With membership, the Bugle is available online.

Geoff

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, I am flying tomorrow morning to New York.

I don't know if i will have the opportunity but if I have it, I may rent a car for a day or two.

If I had to choose for some shoping, what would you recommand ?

- Cars Inc in Neshanic Station or

- Kanter in Boonton ?

Thanks in advance

• 3 weeks later...

We did it ! </SPAN>

We went to « Cars Inc ». Great people, great experience (thank you Keith for advising).</SPAN></SPAN>

I bought some rubber extrusions for the front vent window. Now I have to figure out how to fix it</SPAN></SPAN>

I also bought some carpet for my trunk. I plan to paste it with glue.</SPAN></SPAN>

Are you ok with this ?</SPAN></SPAN>

What have you done in your own trunk ?</SPAN></SPAN>

What would you advise ?</SPAN></SPAN>

Thanks in advance for any recommendation or picture of your trunk that you may have so that I can make my mind.</SPAN></SPAN>

158060459.jpg</SPAN>

158060460.jpg</SPAN>

I also went to where my car comes from.</SPAN></SPAN>

We had the opportunity to see great other cars !</SPAN></SPAN>

158060461.jpg</SPAN>

158060462.jpg</SPAN>

158060463.jpg</SPAN>

158060464.jpg</SPAN>

I could not wait any longer.</SPAN></SPAN>

First thing I did today was to take my keys, my car and make a tour.</SPAN></SPAN>

Great sunny Saturday </SPAN></SPAN>

158060466.jpg</SPAN></SPAN>

158060467.jpg</SPAN></SPAN>

158060468.jpg</SPAN>

158060469.jpg</SPAN>

BTW : thank you Michael and Geoff for your messages</SPAN></SPAN>

Alain</SPAN></SPAN>

Guest mstanleyfl

I spent some time in Holland, Belgium & France in the early 90's and was amazed at how small most the cars were. I can just imagine the looks your beautiful car must get as you drive...

I've used contact cement to hold things in place. There are various kinds, brush on and spray on, and I've used both. The spray type doesn't seem to have as much holding power as the brush on, at least that's my experience with the products I've been able to use, but the spray on is perfect for some areas.

Nice pictures, as always.

Keith

I see you got new license Plates?

Still the same number but it is now a mix between :

- american size and format, and

- old [before April 2009] french plates (with white letters on black background).

Not very official, I may get a fine for this.

But much better than these awfull big french-european white plates that I had for a while.

The car comes from New Jersey.

In 1953, plates in New Jersey were also with white letters on black background.

I tryed to find on internet a provider that could create an old fashion plate with my numbers, in a 1953 style of letters.

But didn't find it.

So far so good.

I can just imagine the looks your beautiful car must get as you drive...

you cannot imagine how right you are...

It is always a pleasure to share moments with unknown that show that they appreciate the car.

I often stop and discuss a while...

158167450.jpg</SPAN>

158167452.jpg</SPAN>

158167454.jpg</SPAN>

158167457.jpg</SPAN>

158167462.jpg</SPAN>

158167464.jpg</SPAN>

158167466.jpg</SPAN>

I know, I know, I know, hehe.

But if I were to ADD skirts to a MODIFIED CAR, I would smooth in the transition.

That's my thoughts, with that said, IMO very few cars look good with skirts, SOME YES, but the overall design would have that as part of such. Again just this old guys opinion.

Dale in Indy

The story takes place in Spain, in the early twentieth century. </SPAN></SPAN>

By that time, there were no planes, no buses, no motorcycle available and of course no car (in particular no Buick yet, this story starts like hell!!).</SPAN></SPAN>

An old man, living in a village in the mountains, decides to walk to the market in the next city.</SPAN></SPAN>

He knows he will have to walk a few hours under the sun to reach that city.</SPAN></SPAN>

He decides to go with his grandson and his donkey.</SPAN></SPAN>

After half an hour of walk, he meets a friend (Pedro) coming from the city.</SPAN></SPAN>

Pedro sees them walking and says: “Hey, how can you have your young grandson walking under the sun for such a long walk ?”</SPAN></SPAN>

“You should put him on the back of your donkey, so that he can rest”.</SPAN></SPAN>

The old man thinks that Pedro is right and puts his grandson on the back of the donkey.</SPAN></SPAN>

After another half an hour, he meets another friend (Pepe), also coming from the city.</SPAN></SPAN>

Pepe sees the old man walking and the grandson on the back of the donkey and says: “Hey, YOU are an old man. YOU should be the one on the back of the donkey. It’s a too long walk for you to the city.</SPAN></SPAN>

The old man thinks that Pepe is right, that his grandson is young and able to walk to the city.</SPAN></SPAN>

He decides to sit on the back of the donkey.</SPAN></SPAN>

After half an hour of walking, they meet another friend (Juanito), coming from the city.</SPAN></SPAN>

Juanito sees them and says: “poor donkey, you are just sitting on his back. I know that you are old but this poor donkey does not deserve this. You should be walking on his side”.</SPAN></SPAN>

CONCLUSION: Whatever you do, there will always be someone unsatisfied.</SPAN></SPAN>

Now the issue is how to deal with it…</SPAN></SPAN>

Dear Dale in Indy, I truly and fully respect your point of view. You already mentioned the fact that you didn’t like my fender skirts in message n°46 and I tried to satisfy you in the past (I can prove it, see msg n°61, and the car without the fender skirts ;) ).</SPAN></SPAN>

I also tried to satisfy Eric, with my back window open and my front window closed or half closed (see message n°55)</SPAN></SPAN>

But you have to understand that I have lots of pressure here, far across the Atlantic Ocean...</SPAN></SPAN>

My family first, but also all the guys that I meet here on a regular basis consider that those fender skirts are “so American style” that they don’t understand why I remove them.</SPAN></SPAN>

Far too much pressure for me! I decided to put them back. :rolleyes:

I swear that from time to time I will take some pics, just for you, without the skirts.</SPAN></SPAN>

In the meantime, please forgive me, but couldn’t do otherwise. </SPAN></SPAN>:cool:

Today was 11th</SPAN> of November. We are celebrating the armistice of First World War (1914-1918).</SPAN></SPAN>

This means that it was a public holiday and I could take the Buick out for a short ride.</SPAN></SPAN>

158205771.jpg</SPAN></SPAN>

158205773.jpg</SPAN></SPAN>

Now these cars were DESIGNED to have skirts, IMHO.

Note all skirts transition SMOOTHLY into the body, that's my point. If you are going to have/use skirts, then they should NOT be a focal point, they should be something that DOESN'T jump out at you, too often they look like what they are, ADD ON'S.

Hey, if you like them, then certainly enjoy them, I'm just not a fan of skirts, BET YOU FIGURED THAT OUT, hehe.

Dale in Indy

P.S. If you are good at photo shopping, try to smooth out the fender mini flares and see how it looks. Better I bet.

post-67970-143142826201_thumb.jpg

post-67970-143142826193_thumb.jpg

post-67970-143142826196_thumb.jpg

post-67970-143142826198_thumb.jpg

Edited by smithbrother (see edit history)