A BUICK SPECIAL RIVIERA 1953 IN PARIS

ABV

Now dim dare SKIRTS I like, like to see a lady in a skirt.

By the way, I don't think there has EVER been a rear fender as cool as a 49 Buick like yours..... I have one spare, always thought a pair would make for a super duper 2-wheel trailer, I can see one now BEHIND YOUR CAR, how cool would that be, COOL, IMO.

Dale in Indy

• 1 month later...

Look forward to seeing more pictures ABV. When all the recent events in Paris started unfolding I actually thought about you and your 53 Buick thread, so thanks for posting. And please know and let your fellow countrymen know that even though for whatever reason, no US Officials attended the unity march, we here in the US stand with you and have got your back. Again look forward to more pics!!

Look forward to seeing more pictures ABV. When all the recent events in Paris started unfolding I actually thought about you and your 53 Buick thread, so thanks for posting. And please know and let your fellow countrymen know that even though for whatever reason, no US Officials attended the unity march, we here in the US stand with you and have got your back. Again look forward to more pics!!

Appropriate that some Buicks attended!

Thank you very much for your warm messages.</SPAN></SPAN>

Yes, hard times around here.</SPAN></SPAN>

I live in Vincennes, east of Paris, not far from where the second assault took place.</SPAN></SPAN>

Every day, when going to work, I stop at the red light, just in front of the supermarket.</SPAN></SPAN>

Not easy to realize it was not just simple news on a TV screen, and that up to then, we were simply living carefree.</SPAN></SPAN>

158798667.jpg</SPAN></SPAN>

Alain, I just now found this thread and have read every post since your very first one. It's so interesting and your car and photos are beautiful. Are you a member of the Buick Club of America? If not, PLEASE join. The main reason I want you to join is so you can share your story and marvelous photos in the club magazine, The Buick Bugle. We need to publish your story so that the rest of the members can read about and see your car. Happy to have you posting here, but I think this is something all of the members would like to read about, including the ones who don't frequent internet forums. You can write about how you obtained the car, what you have done to fix it, where all you have driven it, what future plans you have for your car trips. PLUS - think about coming to the United States in 2016 for the BCA 50th Anniversary Celebration which will be held in Allentown, PA at Nicola Bulgari's wonderful car compound. BCA members will love to meet you! Thanks for all your posts and photos. Your enthusiasm is very infectious! -Cindy Livingston

Thank you Alain! Great pictures and I enjoyed seeing pictures of Paris since my last visit there was 15 years ago.

I guess Peugeot is a very popular collector car in France. Also, I had an MGA in high school so I appreciated the yellow one making the turn.

Thank you again and as a reader of the Buick Bugle I will add my encouragement to Cindy's above to join the BCA. Please come to the meet in Pennsylvania!

Geoff

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your messages.

158988532.jpg</SPAN>

I have 2 questions if I may:</SPAN></SPAN>

- I have just ordered a new exhaust pipe line.</SPAN></SPAN>

Any advise on how to change it or is there any specific issue to be aware of?</SPAN></SPAN>

Any specific film or link on internet that you would recommand?</SPAN></SPAN>

158988533.jpg</SPAN></SPAN>

- My trunk is a mess. I plan to cover it with specific carpet that I bought a few months ago at CARs Inc.</SPAN></SPAN>

Would somebody have any recommendation on how to cut the carpet? Do you know where I can find a (sewing) pattern? Even if it is for a similar car and I have to adjust it, it will be fine.</SPAN></SPAN>

Thanks in advance.</SPAN></SPAN>

Alain</SPAN></SPAN>

Here's my few cents worth.

About the exhaust pipe, I' not sure if you mean all of it, or just the front(exhaust) or rear (tailpipe), but here are a few suggestions. Generally, there are two main issues, rusted/frozen bolts and getting the tailpipe up and over the rear axle. Sometimes there is an extra connection in the bend where the it goes over the rear axle, and that makes it much easier to get it in, if you are working on the ground, but if you have a hoist, then it is much easier. Old clamps and hangers can be cut off, as its' best to use all new stuff, unless they are recently new.

The bolts that go on the exhaust manifold studs can be extremely difficult to get free, and breaking them off means then having to take the manifold off and drilling out the old ones, etc. Not a good thing if you can avoid it. I use a torch on the nuts to get them red hot then they will come off with out much drama. This is tricky, as there is not much space to work, and you don't want cause any other issues with the flame. If you don't have a torch available then wire brush the excess scale off and soak with a good penetrating oil. Use new stainless ones, if you can get them, as they will be SAE, not Metric threads.

I leave all the connections a bit loose and make sure that all is lined up, then tighten securely.

I do not have a car like yours, so I can't help you with a pattern, but you can make one up. Use the remains of the old stuff as best as you can, and then use paper, or some cheap fabric to work out the sizes for all the other pieces. You can even pin, or tack sew the aforementioned cheap fabric together to make sure that the fit looks good.

You can perhaps find a some pictures on the net of a complete trunk, or someone else here may have better info for you.

Keith

Edited by Buicknutty
grammar (see edit history)

Hi ABV. Just found your thread. Thank you for the very nice pictures . Realy Nice and sharp. (And i folowed the car auction also) what is happening in the world ? they pay 14 milion euro for an old Ferrari ........ :rolleyes: . It was used by the old owner for years as an storage for books and newspapers ... lol ....

Take care Paul

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Beautiful car!  Did you get a new Peugeot?  I just caught up on your thread--beautiful photos!  My parents love visiting Paris; however, I have a nearly pathological fear of airplanes.  :(  Your backgrounds are much more monumental than mine could ever hope to be in greater Michigan.  :)

Here's my Special...

post-43316-143142703092_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...

Hi forum friends.

I am back.

2015 has not been the best year for me.

Hope 2016 will provide me much more Buick pleasures and opportunities.

I also wish it for you.

One of my good resolution for 2016, will be to repair my roof (or better said: to have it repaired by a professional).

You may remember that a few months ago, my garage door unfortunately and unexpectedly slammed on my roof.

154934919.jpg

The guy from the body shop told me it could be dangerous to try to repair the car without removing the windshield.

That idea sounded reasonable to me.

But he is not expert in American cars and I would like to guide him a little bit.

I read pages 484-490 of the 1952 Buick shop Manual.

I saw some videos on internet :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gScpD6v2CiY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wQlGG4NjIk

And tried to find previous discussions on the forum.

But I didn’t find what I expected: ie a step by step explanation for dummies.

Any advise ?

Any link or video on internet that may help ?

Thanks in advance.

Alain