model a valve adjustment

Guest johnny cermak

Guest johnny cermak

Hello,

I am in the middle of rebuilding my first model a motor and am having complications adjusting the valves. We went with new strait valves with two piece retainers and kept the old lifters instead of the tapered valves and one piece retainers. After installing the valve train I began to adjust the lifter clearance. The literature I have says to set the lifter gap to .010 - .013. Some of the lifters were able to be adjusted to those specs but others would not. After taking the lifters to the lowest point of the adjustment the gap is still just barely smaller than .010. should I be concerned that the gap is to small and wont allow the valve to seat properly?

Any helpful words would be greatly appreciated!!

Hmm, usually when you go with the straight valves rather than the original tapered valves it is so that you can ditch the original two piece guides and go with a one piece guide. Did you just reverse what you meant to say when you typed the note?

Anyway, you need to get the proper clearance. .013 for intake, and .015 for exhaust. If you can't get up to those clearances with the range of adjustment you have on your adjustable lifters, the valve stems need to be ground down to get there. Othewise, you're going to burn up the valves.

Guest johnny cermak

Hello Pete,

I did get rid of the two piece guides and went with one piece guide with a two piece tapered retainer if that makes more sence. Is it common that reproduction valves need to be ground down or is there some other issue with using all new valve train and keeping the old lifters that might be causing my problem.

Thanks to all for the advice!