*1917 Hupmobile Model N Touring restoration / New to the forum...and the world of Hupmobiles**

MrModelT

Hi all!

I'm new here to the forum and though I would introduce myself and my project.

I have been into antique cars since I was very little. At 20 I bought my first antique, a 1926 Model T Ford and built it as a pre-1932 Hot rod, or "Gowjob". I completed it in 2008, did a complete rebuild in 2012 and drove it to Utah across 4 states to the Bonneville Salt Flats for Speed Week.

picture.php?albumid=4710&pictureid=407795

picture.php?albumid=4710&pictureid=407628

picture.php?albumid=4710&pictureid=407796

I just purchased this 1917 Hupmobile Model N 5-passenger touring car from a friend. It's rough, but it has quite a bit to it....more that you see here. The body is mostly complete (have 2 rear tubs, 1 set rear fenders, full set of doors, seat divider, floor pans, kick panels, front apron). The chassis is a different story. I do have a spare rear axle and the original engine, but the motor is not complete and has been open to the elements for some time (outside in the same location that I bought it since 1963 and before that....as far back as the 1930's). The transmission is also missing.

attachment.php?attachmentid=1063804&d=1282324541

picture.php?albumid=4710&pictureid=354666

I have another project going at the moment (a '65 Ford Falcon) so the Hup is on hold for a bit, but hope to start rounding up info and parts I'm missing.

If anyone has any info, literature or parts for a Model N...let me know. We are beginning the search.

Thanks!

Clayton ~ Mr. ModelT

Edited by MrModelT (see edit history)

Well a good place to start is the Hupmobile Club. We have a parts locator & tec advisors for the model car you are working on. members have also had parts reproducted that could not be found to make their car complete. We go on tours & yes there are ice cream stops every day, we have fun.

Well a good place to start is the Hupmobile Club. We have a parts locator & tec advisors for the model car you are working on. members have also had parts reproducted that could not be found to make their car complete. We go on tours & yes there are ice cream stops every day, we have fun.

Thanks Hupp36! The Hupmobile Club was my first stop and have already sent in my application. The club Parts Locator will be especially useful as my car is still missing quite a bit.

Clayton- That is quite a project you are starting! How many years did the T take? I would probably double it. I too have a '16 N roadster, in pieces. Mine was a running car that the last owner took apart. He claims I got all the pieces but every time I start to work on it I am missing something else it seems. And the N seems to the hardest Hupp to find parts for! It was a short run (mid-15- mid-17) car with low volume. So no repro parts to speak of and very few parts cars. Are you going to restore the car or modify it like the T?

The car above is Larry Connors from Conn and he is the N tech rep in the club.

Welcome aboard the world of Hupps!

Clayton- That is quite a project you are starting! How many years did the T take? I would probably double it. I too have a '16 N roadster, in pieces. Mine was a running car that the last owner took apart. He claims I got all the pieces but every time I start to work on it I am missing something else it seems. And the N seems to the hardest Hupp to find parts for! It was a short run (mid-15- mid-17) car with low volume. So no repro parts to speak of and very few parts cars. Are you going to restore the car or modify it like the T?

The car above is Larry Connors from Conn and he is the N tech rep in the club.

Welcome aboard the world of Hupps!

Bill,

Thank you kindly! It does look a bit daunting, but the N's are rare enough to make it worth while.....and as a "kid" of 28, it is really my only chance to acquire a big pre-1920 car like this. I have tried to make a few deals on similar projects....but as soon as they see how old I am...the conversation is over.

The T is a fun car. Took me 3 years to build it the first time around (2006 - 2008) and just nine months the second time (2012) finishing the full frame up rebuild the night before driving it to Bonneville Utah for Speed Week.....with no road test time.

Its cool to talk to another N owner. The good friends that sold me this N project have a complete restored N touring (a twin to my car) and another member of the local Horseless Carraige Club chapter just bought a 7-pass touring (LWB). I know there aren't many N's....and didn't know there was a surviving roadsters. I know of only 2 LWB cars.

I know it will be a challenge digging up parts, but I'm optimistic. If we stick together....we might get lucky.

You have any pics of your roadster?

Clayton

Spent some time cleaning out the tub and sorting out the parts I have. looks like I actually have some Model K parts in there too....a set of doors and the rear tub panels/rear fenders. I think I can use them to repair my car.

attachment.php?attachmentid=216612&d=1380659569

attachment.php?attachmentid=216611&d=1380659569

Also inspected the motor (SN#82941 3-28-1917) and all that is missing there...which is quite a bit. The Block, crankcase, crank, flywheel, cam, lifters, valves, dipstick and oil pump are intact...but everything else it seems is gone.

attachment.php?attachmentid=216610&d=1380659569

It also appears to have a rather large crack in the block that will need repair...

attachment.php?attachmentid=216609&d=1380659569

Even with all that is missing and how rough it is.....it still clings to some sort of civility. After 97 years....75 of that out in the elements it still shows signs the original paint...

attachment.php?attachmentid=216606&d=1380659569

From what I have seen in photoshop...this is pretty close to the original color...

attachment.php?attachmentid=216605&d=1380659569

Clayton Paddison

Vancouver WA

-------------------------------

1917 Hupmobile Model N Touring

1926 Model T Ford Roadster

1965 Ford Falcon Sedan

Edited by MrModelT (see edit history)

• 2 months later...

G,day to all especially Clayton

Go to the website of http://users.esc.net.au/~ppub/hupmobile.htm This is Australian and New Zealand Hupmobile Register.From Duncan Hudson you can buy the quality reprints of the books that you need and subscribe to the Register @ $au 50.oo) We have been touring our N since 1970. Car no 62947 eng 62949. Landed in Australia Feb 3 1916 .We have collected the remains of five others and half of a K in the last forty eight years!

Take my advice and keep this one as a parts car. Buy a driveable example. This car is going to cost about three times the price of a going one to put reliably on the road, believe me its true. The car No is above the speedo if you have the brass plate, also on the LHR dumb iron The eng No is on the generator mounting extension outer radius and also on the crankshaft ,conrods ,and on the inside of the crankcase at the front LH Most common reason for abandonment was Crownwheel teeth snapped off because the pinion adjustment did not lock and failure of no 2 or 3 rod bearing.$20 to 28 grand should get you a good usable example. Happy Hupping

Max BURKE Nulkaba 2325 Australia

G,day to all especially Clayton

Go to the website of http://users.esc.net.au/~ppub/hupmobile.htm This is Australian and New Zealand Hupmobile Register.From Duncan Hudson you can buy the quality reprints of the books that you need and subscribe to the Register @ $au 50.oo) We have been touring our N since 1970. Car no 62947 eng 62949. Landed in Australia Feb 3 1916 .We have collected the remains of five others and half of a K in the last forty eight years!

Take my advice and keep this one as a parts car. Buy a driveable example. This car is going to cost about three times the price of a going one to put reliably on the road, believe me its true. The car No is above the speedo if you have the brass plate, also on the LHR dumb iron The eng No is on the generator mounting extension outer radius and also on the crankshaft ,conrods ,and on the inside of the crankcase at the front LH Most common reason for abandonment was Crownwheel teeth snapped off because the pinion adjustment did not lock and failure of no 2 or 3 rod bearing.$20 to 28 grand should get you a good usable example. Happy Hupping

Max BURKE Nulkaba 2325 Australia

Max,

Thank you kindly for your reply and advice.

Since my last post, I have been doing a bit of parts hunting and I agree...a running or at least complete example would be better to start with. In my travels I was lucky enough to stumble across a very nice Hupp collector that had a complete, but rough '16 Model N (Engine #65132) and made me an excellent offer. I accepted it on the spot and have negotiated out a deal. It is a very early car (not much newer then your N) and is COMPLETE. It was last licensed in 1930 and hasn't b een on the road since 1934.

No pics yet, but soon! :)

Well Done Clayton! Don't forget Duncan Hudson and the A& NZ Hup register. Tell me when you get the N home ,there are a few things you need to check before you drive it on the road. Happy Hupping. Max BURKE Nulkaba 2325 Australia.

I will do Max. It is rough for sure and will need a complete frame up restoration before getting back on the road....and I won't be cutting any corners. The good part is that its complete, so all the hard to find stuff is there.

The goal is to put it back stock and as correct as possible down to the tires. I want it to be a driver so I may make a few internal improvements to help that out.

What sort of this should I look for?

I think I have some pictures I can post from the first "visit".