1949 Sedanette.. Big project

SonOf2Buicks

Hello everyone. Well after seeing her post here and on the other site I frequent, I decided it was best to go over and see if I could help the nice woman organize her garage...

Original thread here... http://forums.aaca.org/f115/lost-husband-cancer-need-sell-1949-a-347810.html

After a few weekends of cleaning up and finding parts out of the deep corners of her garage, it was decided I would take this project on and get the Ol Sedanette back on the streets.

So here I am, now trying to inventory many of the parts I have and MANY MORE that I don't have to figure out what direction I will go with her.

Just to get everyone up to speed. The PO removed and I believe sold engine and trans.. Was going to replace with a Nailhead and modern Auto trans ( 700R4 style ) and go the Hot Rod look.. Cutting the dash, headlight housings, rear cargo area and so on. Here are the pictures of where I am at as of now...

I will entertain any and all offers if you can find or have the parts I need to get her back. Ideally I am looking to go for a Stock appearance, but may stick with the Nailhead and Auto trans. I already added the Wilwood Disc Brake kit ( I needed to get her on wheels and Had NO clue where the suspension parts were )

I have purchased an entire dash (came to find out the bottom section where the ignition goes was cut out )... as well as other items I find on Ebay and other sites.

Sit back, grab a drink and watch the debacle unfold.... As I have a bit of WORK to do.

Thanks for reading.

15_zps653e1bf2.jpg

16_zpsbdc0f144.jpg

11_zps2c1dc371.jpg

18_zpsaa0daa00.jpg

19_zpsd2586750.jpg

13_zpsefed4162.jpg

12_zpsa76405e8.jpg

7_zpsbcc867ee.jpg

3_zps7322a891.jpg

6_zps7e81d161.jpg

1_zps2e33e47a.jpg

9_zps2a99160b.jpg

Thank you Gentlemen... I have ambition and drive... Not necessarily youth. Plus the Sedanette is my Favorite Buick body style, so that helps.

Here is the Dash I picked up along with glove box and some trim pieces. If any of you are out searching the Interweb and come across parts I may need ( and of course YOU Don't ) please enlighten me and point me in that direction. I am certain it will take longer finding the pieces than any other part of the restoration/rebuild.

1_zpsa4d7c11b.jpg

As you can see.... The ignition part of the dash was cut out. I did not realize this until it was too late.

2_zps59cdd010.jpg

Yep, dim dare 'sedanette's' are my first LOVE TOOOOOOOO, and for it to be a 49, well, doesn't get any better than that, IMHO. Well, a RM would be a tad better, IMO.

Now if it were mine, and it ISN'T, I would go with the total stock look, and install BIG CUBE, fuel injected, with a 6-speed manual, 9" rear, and with 3.70 gear. I would update the brakes, like you have done, rebuild everything else, and man, what a cruiser I would own. But, that's just the Hot Rodder in me.

That baby would just LOVE 80 mph all day and night long, and so much fun planting the pedal to the metal on them there ON-RAMPS.

I wish you well, looking forward to seeing the build pic's.

Dale in Indy

P.S. I am busting at the seams for the day I can show you my Hot Rod FuturLiner. It is in primer, more block sanding ahead, making it straight, and flat. Paint next month.

Again, thanks for all the positive feedback... I am trying to get the "stock" look as much as possible, with the possibility of upgraded driveline..

I am just at the point where I need to find parts, As I am Currently stuck in the mud until I do.

Possible option is picking up another 49 just to be a parts car, since piece milling all the missing parts is ADDING up quickly.

If anyone out there has any leads, I will be indebted to you !!!

John

Yes its one year only. So far I found everything except the radio, radio grill, and the finishing tabs for the different vents and lights.

Next on list is window cranks, door handles, vent wing parts, and front flip bench seat.

Again... any folks out there that have any leads.. I will be indebted to you.

Been busy searching Craigslist and Ebay..

Thanks for reading.

Now THIS is a hardtop I can get excited about. Looks like Buck Roger's could be behind the wheel!

Son, I'm guessing the hood is longer on the RM than the Super (and the additional hole), but is there and difference from the cowl back? Specifically the rear window? I've seen a '49 RM Sedanet locally and the rear end doesn't seem as low and sleek. Optical illusion?

Thanks for sharing,

Anderson

Oh!!!!!!! I likes me many times! Going to be a fun thread to follow! Good luck and nice car.

• 2 weeks later...

Not much of an update, other than just going through the million parts in boxes trying to put the puzzle back together. My shop literally looks like a BUICK blew up all over.

I did find some interesting items though. Not sure how authentic they are, but they are in nice condition and will be a great piece to ad whenever I get to show this gem off.

Here's some pictures to show what Ive been dealing with.

6_zpsd36176d0.jpg

5_zps33e9f4c6.jpg

4_zpsd646b2d8.jpg

8_zpsab2d4cbf.jpg

10_zps78b3714c.jpg

12_zps486a1304.jpg

11_zpsc076688a.jpg

10_zps78b3714c.jpg

Anyone know what these are off of ???? The lenses are glass.

1_zpsdc4237f1.jpg

Now for the interesting stuff....

13_zpsff3d881f.jpg

14_zps13101be7.jpg

16_zps1077cf25.jpg

15_zpse7bdc369.jpg

17_zps6bbd2c28.jpg

19_zps60efdbef.jpg

18_zpsba9cc534.jpg

20_zps1cc96d78.jpg

The magazines seem to pop up fairly often on eBay for $10-15 each. The larger fold-out with the model line description $20+ depending on condition. The dealer/salesman's book - I've seen these (though I search for my '51 & '55) for ~$60+. The Owner's Guide might be a reprint - I've seen reprints for $17-18, originals - whatever someone thinks they can get ($30-40). Nice finds. Will make a nice display with the car, if you like.

I have the model-line fold-out "catalog" for '51 and made 11x17 color copies to put with the car since the original is tearing at the creases - but color copies look really good.

Ditto - that clown is creepy.

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of an Update... The only real way to get this Sedanette back to its Glory was to get a Donor. Found one and picked it up. Sad to see this one being used in this way, but it will go to a good cause.

The straight eight and Dynaflow are there along with ALL the other stock items.

Body swap is in the works.

Heres the Donor....

6_zps3d2ee739.jpg

1_zpsee5a2ed6.jpg

7_zps7464cfa6.jpg

9_zpse2a6f0c0.jpg

That's a cool looking car.........If it runs I'd be tempted to use it as a driver, at least for a short while, before pulling it down. Have some fun with it.

Maybe, if it's needed, even rebuild the engine and test it in the sedan......just a thought.

it might be a while before the sedanette hits the road.

Thanks John and Brian,

Yes, the engine runs, although I will need to go through it completely. The Dynaflow leaks and it has sat for years, so full brakes and wheel cylinders etc.

Dad and I are looking forward to pulling it apart and getting it cleaned up and painted while just a frame ( body Off )

If I get a Wild hair, I can always drive Dad's 52 until mine is done.

28_zps6f38787e.jpg

• 1 month later...

Parts cars--

<dt>Location:</dt><dd>Wyoming, Minnesota 55092</dd><!-- Begin description --> Description: BUICKS, 1947 Super convertible project car, $12,000; parting 3-1948 Roadmaster convertibles; 1947 Buick parts; NOS 1949 Roadmaster or Super 4-door sedan rear fenders; 2-1949 Super sedanettes; 1949 Super 4-dr sedan; 1949 Roadmaster and convertible parts; 1953 Super 4-door sedan; 1953 Special parts; 1954 parts; 1966 Wildcat 4-door hardtop. 612-206-0074, MN.