1984 Olds 88 307 V8 Oil Pan

gkhashem

I know its a pain to replace the oil pan, but I think mine is damaged or corroded.

Not sure how the car has 26,500 miles on it. Possible from storage in a damp garage but the rest of the car is perfect. Not sure how this happened.

Where can I get a replacement. There are performance ones on Summit, they are expensive.

Any other options out there or is that it. If so any other changes need to be made to make this work in a standard car??

Thank you

I know its a pain to replace the oil pan, but I think mine is damaged or corroded.

Uh, I'd suggest that you start by jacking up the car and being SURE that the pan is damaged. More likely is a leaking gasket or loose bolts. Since the last Olds V8 was built in 1990, it would be pure luck if you could find a new pan from a GM dealership. Any small block Olds oil pan from 1964-1990 is the same and bolts right on. There are many used ones available.

I had it up on a lift and while I was changing the oil the sides of the pan looked scaly and had oil on them. I am not positive but I did not want to scrap too hard since I do not have one available.

So I did not want to probe too hard. Will a 350V8 oil pan work from an Olds? I can find those. What other engines will work?

You have to jack up engine to get oil pan out to change gaskets anyways. So if I am going to do that I want a pan that fits.

I had it up on a lift and while I was changing the oil the sides of the pan looked scaly and had oil on them. I am not positive but I did not want to scrap too hard since I do not have one available.

Not unusual. I've still got $10 that says it is NOT the oil pan but a gasket. It may even be a valve cover gasket.

So I did not want to probe too hard. Will a 350V8 oil pan work from an Olds? I can find those. What other engines will work?

From above:

Any small block Olds oil pan from 1964-1990 is the same and bolts right on.

The small block Olds family encompasses the 260, 307, 330, 350, and 403. The big block (400, 425, and 455) pans also fit, but they have a slight contour difference. That doesn't affect fit or function, just appearance. Finally, the FWD oil pans from the Toronado also fit, but again are differently shaped and require a different dipstick. And again, be sure you get an oil pan from an OLDSMOBILE 350, not a Chevy 350, which is completely different.

Thanks for the info Joe. I agree it most likely could be the gasket. Valve cover gaskets look OK but hard to see for sure. Looks like the oil pan gasket.

This car has 26,850 miles on it. I have had it since 23,500 miles. Clean car like new.

My point is that if I am going to do a gasket. I want an oil pan just in case it is corroded. It will be a real pain if I got the gasket out and it was a bad pan then what do I do for a lousy $60 I would rather have an oil pan around.

So lifting the engine is needed whether its the gasket or the oil pan. I do not want to do all that work then try to find a part. Its not like I can go to the local auto parts store for the oil pan.

So lifting the engine is needed whether its the gasket or the oil pan. I do not want to do all that work then try to find a part. Its not like I can go to the local auto parts store for the oil pan.

By the time you lift the engine, you're only a few torque converter and bellhousing bolts away from pulling it completely, which makes any oil pan removal MUCH easier.

• 9 months later...

Finally got around to the oil pan.

Well, it appears it was only the gasket bad the original oil pan just looked bad on the outside. I did get a used one stripped it clean on the outside and painted it with POR15 and new gasket.

I will do the same to the original oil pan the inside was shiny like new. I will clean it and repaint it may find a pin hole but I doubt it.

Also had a bad hose on air pump line for the cat and pollution control. The line was underneath car. I could hear the noise while engine was running. Now sounds is gone car sounds better.

Edited by gkhashem (see edit history)