'42 fender & hood ornament questions

Joeys1942

Hi everyone, I'm getting really excited, I'm moving my 42 into the garage Monday for breakdown and the beginning of restoration! It's my understanding that the 42 frames were welded off the line, is it possible to remove the fenders? My ds front is dented, needs work....plus how do I get the hood ornament off? I don't see bolts below under the hood, so any advice is welcomed. I plan to get pics posted starting Monday of the old girl., I'm a lucky guy.

The fenders just bolt on. Good luck on getting the frozen bolts loose from the cage nuts. Spray them with WD-40 a few days before you start. Your hood ornament also unscrews from the hood. Same spray to loosen the screws. Take your time so you don't snap the heads off the fender bolts. You will become well acquainted with WD-40 in the future. And skinned knuckles...

Hi everyone, I'm getting really excited, I'm moving my 42 into the garage Monday for breakdown and the beginning of restoration! It's my understanding that the 42 frames were welded off the line, is it possible to remove the fenders? My ds front is dented, needs work....plus how do I get the hood ornament off? I don't see bolts below under the hood, so any advice is welcomed. I plan to get pics posted starting Monday of the old girl., I'm a lucky guy.

I also had a '42 LC cabriolet 1965 until the Spring of 1971. I worked on every last nut and bolt on that car. The fenders are held on with 5/16-24 capscrews,

These are cagednut ,and probably will be rusted and rip off. Use wd40, wire brush, heat and soak again. I got most of them off. The hood ornament is really special and should be handled with care. The '42 is a single blade, with a hollow ball that screws together. The blade has 3 horizontal "U" shape bars pressed on the

blade. Good luck and TAKE YOUR TIME. You are working on a piece of automotive History, only 136 were made.

May want to take a few hundred digital up close photos of everything you can if you haven't already, every part of car you can:inside, outside,engine compartment, trunk, (back of the front seat seams to often get neglected in photos)- before you take too much apart. Digital photos are almost free for the cost of an SD card, and you might refer to them more than once in the next 1-2 years when putting it back together. Photos with a tape measure too in some areas like seat/top pleats, wire, hose, tubing routing locations, .... Memory does a funny thing to me after months of delays, and I refer to mine often. Have Fun!!! Paul