1950 Hudson Commodore 8 FREE

Guest BJM

I purchased a 1950 Hudson Commodore 8 sedan project off Proxibid for $486. Located west of twin cities in a town called Donnelly, Minnesota. I have decided to pass on bringing the car down to Iowa and it's fate is a crusher.

It's a decent complete project and rare as it's an 8 cylinder car. It has rust in the floor pans and appears the hood lip has rust. This is for someone with an empty garage and time, neither of which I have. This was an emotional driven purchase with instant buyers regret. THE CAR IS 100% paid for so is free to the person who can pick it up.

Soon. PM me for contact information.

The 254ci 128hp straight eight would make an impressive speedster engine. Complete rebuild kits are available.

(BTW Bryan says it's free but it is $486 if you are a good guy. I know you would not want to benefit from his mistake)

PREMIUM ENGINE PACKAGE "MASTER REBUILDER" 1941-52 HUDSON STRAIGHT 8

Contents: Master Overhaul Gasket Set

8 Pistons - Premium Quality OEM 4 Ring Type Manufactured 2004

Piston Ring Set

Cam Gear

Cam Bearing Set

16 Valve Springs

8 Intake Valves 8 Exhaust Valves

8 Intake Valve Guides 8 Exhaust Valve Guides

8 Piston Pin Bushings

Crankshaft Spacer

Thrust Washer

$1150.00 (plus shipping and handling)

Optional: Add Set of 16 New Valve Tappets for $320 more

Edited by Dwight Romberger (see edit history)

Dwight

I wish I could have been so lucky but I did offer it for free and found a Hudson guy in Cedar Rapids to go get it. It's more then a $486 car to be sure. It's a non running car, that needs everything but is a poster child for what is wrong with the direction of the hobby in my opinion. Just an opinion.

I have helped transfer ownership of 5 cars this year alone that would have been crushed at great personal expense. I am pretty much tapped out.

In a different culture and time, this proud 8 cylinder step down would have been a $1500-$2500 project vehicle and the bidding would have been strong. Now, these projct vehicles auctions are lightly attended and 95% of the cars go to the crusher.

I bid based on 6 photos. I bid $450 for the car and did it "on-line" and so it sat at $220 until the auction and "bam" got up to $450. Hhhmmm. I have a hard time believing that someone bid it up to my high figure then mysteriously stopped but oh well.

I have 3 project vehicles and room for more. This Hudson was going to go on the north side of my 3 car garage, awaiting garage space. My wife has different ideas. She wants to move "back into the city". (We live in a small bedroom community and commute 20-25 miles one way daily)

I can't argue with the idea to move back in BUT there are very few 3 car garages in Des Moines, Iowa, in the neighborhoods we are interested in. 2 car garages maybe, but few 3's. I had arranged transport for $500, so I would be all in at $1000 for this car. But, I saw the writing on the wall, and felt if I got it here and had to sell for $1000, there would be no takers and I would end up with a bad deal. Had I felt I could sell it for $1000 I would have brought it down from Minnesota.

Such is the state of the hobby.

As for the folks that contacted me, I am amazed what I heard. The fellow going to pick it up I enjoyed our conversation and I hope to one day ride in this Hudson. But I received some calls from people that were actually at the auction and did not bid on it but wanted it. Now, yes, they would be happy to take it off my hands for free.

One guy wanted me to pay him to pick it up.

Finally, no one car is more interesting then another I have found out. THAT more then anything, caused me to pause and not pick this one up. I was going to justify to myself, that I wanted this Hudson more then a 2 door coupe car I have awaiting garage space for restoration. BUT, this is what has lead me to purchase some 250 + cars in the past 20 years. Basically, I get in a "gotta have it" mode, buy a car, pay exorbitant fees to get it to my garage then it sits for a year, and my focus changes.

The rollercoaster continues. So, I had one of those angel guys on my left shoulder saying "leave the Hudson there, focus on the car you have, and quite this insane habit". Then the devil guy with the pitchfork on my right shoulder said "Don't listen to him, you've been looking for an 8 cylinder Hudson step down project for years and now you have it. Get it here and you will be OK. "

I finally listened to the left side.

The "free" in the subject line caught my eye but as I read thru the thread I realized I knew of this car. The late owner and I were friends and he was all about collecting Hudson, Nash, and AMC cars. At one time, he lived on Cape Cod and had them stored in the back lot of a Chinese restaurant...that also happened to be his front yard. Bill was quite a guy and I remember the day he brought the car home. I hope it lives to see another mile.