Is this permissible in the Hershey Car Corral?

Matt Harwood

I attend Hershey each year as both an enthusiast and as a guy selling cars. I try to take interesting cars and set up in the car corral to talk to people and make new friends. We've sold one or two cars there in the past, but for the most part, it's a marketing program more than outright sales for us. I try to bring something reasonable that may sell and then something that has a big WOW factor to attract attention.

Anyway, this year I was thinking about bringing this:

post-31138-143142199311_thumb.jpg

Basically it's a gorgeous 1946 Dodge Power Wagon that's been nicely restored and looks almost completely stock. However, there's a modern Cummins turbo diesel inside. You can read the details here: http://www.vintagemotorcarsohio.com/Details_new.php?id=273

Anyway, the point isn't to sell it there, but to draw attention to the other cars I'm bringing. Two years ago, it was easy to say, "Meet me at the big, purple Isotta-Fraschini," and this year I was thinking the big red Dodge.

Is this an acceptable vehicle that's permissible at Hershey in the car corral? It's modified, but pretty stock on the outside but I'd understand if someone were to call it a hot rod. Any official verdict before I start working out shipping for a truck that's 7 feet tall and weighs 6500 pounds?

Thanks!

From the Hershey Fall Meet site:

[TABLE=width: 100%]

<tbody>[TR]

[TD]

Q: How do I get a car corral space (s)?

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]

A: Same as above to request a registration card. There will be a (2) space limit during summer car corral registration. Spaces are approximately 10’ X 20’. Cars must be at least 25 years old, AACA recognized and driven onto the car corral field. Street rods are prohibited. Car corral spaces will be sold for $125.00 per space and space is limited. Assignment of spaces will be in order of post mark on mailing envelope. If available car corral spaces will be sold at the fall meet starting Wednesday during show week at 7:00a.m. There are no guarantees of available space (s) on days of the meet.

If it is not what you would consider a "Street rod", it would appear that it would be OK in the Car Corral. I am not an expert, but I think you will be OK.

[/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

I attend Hershey each year as both an enthusiast and as a guy selling cars. I try to take interesting cars and set up in the car corral to talk to people and make new friends. We've sold one or two cars there in the past, but for the most part, it's a marketing program more than outright sales for us. I try to bring something reasonable that may sell and then something that has a big WOW factor to attract attention.

Anyway, this year I was thinking about bringing this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]214990[/ATTACH]

Basically it's a gorgeous 1946 Dodge Power Wagon that's been nicely restored and looks almost completely stock. However, there's a modern Cummins turbo diesel inside. You can read the details here: http://www.vintagemotorcarsohio.com/Details_new.php?id=273

Anyway, the point isn't to sell it there, but to draw attention to the other cars I'm bringing. Two years ago, it was easy to say, "Meet me at the big, purple Isotta-Fraschini," and this year I was thinking the big red Dodge.

Is this an acceptable vehicle that's permissible at Hershey in the car corral? It's modified, but pretty stock on the outside but I'd understand if someone were to call it a hot rod. Any official verdict before I start working out shipping for a truck that's 7 feet tall and weighs 6500 pounds?

Thanks!

Matt,

My advice would be to receive an official response from someone in authority. To haul a 6500# vehicle from Ohio only to be turned down for being modified would be a gamble. John mentioned that if it has a modern running gear it would not matter for example (In some clubs he may be correct however the mission of the AACA he left out.)

Edited by Peter J.Heizmann (see edit history)

Like I said, I wouldn't expect it to sell there, but it definitely draws a crowd. However I very much respect the AACA and the Hershey show and yes, as I acknowledged, this could definitely qualify as a hot rod. So I'll leave it home and bring something more appropriate. No worries, that's why I wanted to ask before just doing it. I don't want to be that guy.

Matt, an interesting vehicle but it does not fit within the car corral rules. Essentially, a vehicle must fit with the AACA classes which include DPC. The modern running gear is too big a modification. Thanks for checking and thanks for not trying to sneak it in as others have tired. Appreciate the respect you have for our rules.