1935 Dodge Truck (1st Series) - Hubcaps

Guest warrantusn2001

Guest DodgeKCL

Lots of luck. I searched for years for 1st Series hubcaps and have several in varying degrees of condition but I never saw a locking one. (Believe it or not I stumbled on a repro set of 5 from Quebec that the guy had made up mistakenly for a 1936. The '36 take a different type of cap but they look like '35s.)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest DodgeKCL

(OK here goes. This is what I BELIEVE to be correct. Operative word is BELIEVE.) 1933/34 and 35 1/2 ton Commercial Cars had wire or steel artillery wheels only. That's 1/2 ton. And that's for 16" and 17" of which I own originals. All bets are off for 3/4 ton and larger. This wheel could be for a 3/4 ton. I don't know. That hub cap is the correct one for 1934 KC(L) and 1935 KC(L). That's IF the locking system for the hubcap to wheel is a series of spring loaded fingers. However if there are no fingers on the cap but 3 or 4 "buttons" on the wheel opening edge, then the cap and this wheel are from very late 1935 and then 1936 and beyond. This raised end design of the word DODGE remained in play for some time 'til almost the end of the '30s. I have been told that if the word DODGE is "flush" at the ends with the face of the hubcap, then the cap was meant for a car not a truck. However I have never been able to find that in any documentation from Chrysler. It may be the other way around. However if I found decent hubacps of either design I would use them and defy anyone to proof me wrong. Could you take the cap off and give me a photo of the it's obverse?

Guest DodgeKCL

I believe that that wheel is for a very late 1935 or 1936 and later vehicles. The hubcap attachment system is the one Dodge,and Chrysler in general, went to in the mid thirties and never went back to the spring loaded fingers. 1933 HC and 34/35 KCs all had the spring loaded fingers in the hubcap edge. The wheels had nothing but a plain opening to accept the fingers. They must have found it cheaper to just spin out a plain cap and have those fingers on the wheel (or "buttons" as I've also seen.) If your customers theory holds up, then this wheel would be for a car? But I don't think this wheel is for a car. All photos for a car show the multi opening steel artillery wheel. Photos I have of trucks have this "slotted" opening wheel on them. Of course this cap could have been just put on this wheel by anyone at anytime. I have been told because of the smaller production quantities in Canada, all the caps from these years were same. They were all the flat (flush) scripted ones. This is actually what the guy in Quebec used for his "model" and made the 5 repros I have. I will be using these on my truck here in Canada and that should be correct going by what I've been told for us Canadians. However (!) just to screw things up, I have come across the raised lettered versions at fleamarkets up here. Where did they come from and why are they in Canada? Am I being misled? Does anybody really know?

Edited by DodgeKCL (see edit history)

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...