55 Special 46R Project re-started

buick840

Well it's been a while since I started to "freshen up" my 55 Special............like about 4 years ago. My my how time flies.

I decided that I should start a new thread and chronicle some of the work that has happened in the past and more recently.

I know everyone loves photos but you are going to have to wait for up to date ones as I haven't loaded any to my PC for ages.

I'll re-post some photos of the car when I first got it. I had them on an old thread so some will have seen them before but for those that didn't here it is before the tear down.

post-41557-143142199032_thumb.jpg

And some after the first round of body work where I was originally going to just have it painted and leave the chrome and drive train alone.......

post-41557-143142199061_thumb.jpg

It sat in the shed like that for probably 3 years due to work and family commitments but this past few months I have resurrected the project.

All the glass is out, front clip is off and the areas where we hadn't stripped the paint are now being tackled.

The motor and trans will be coming out this weekend and that will allow us to properly clean up the engine bay before transplanting a newly re-built 322 and Dynaflow.

Now there lies another story.........

post-41557-143142198981_thumb.jpg

post-41557-143142198997_thumb.jpg

post-41557-14314219901_thumb.jpg

post-41557-143142199023_thumb.jpg

post-41557-143142199026_thumb.jpg

post-41557-143142199029_thumb.jpg

post-41557-143142199035_thumb.jpg

post-41557-143142199048_thumb.jpg

Edited by buick840 (see edit history)

I had planned on replacing the 264 with a 322 I had picked up from a guy who was replacing his Century's motor and drive train with modern components.

It was a running 60k motor that I hoped to use mated up to the Dynaflow already in the car which seems fine.

Then I stumbled upon the "Motherload" :)

Another guy an hour from where I live also decided to update his "FULLY RE-BUILT" 55 running gear with modern components and wanted to clean out his garage of all the original 55 drive train plus quite a few boxes of spares ( new & NOS ) so we struck a deal and now my garage is the one that is overflowing with Nailheads, Dynaflows, rear ends and various 55 parts.

I now have for my l'il ol 55 a fully rebuilt 322 with all new parts, fully balanced together with a re-built Dynaflow with all new parts as well as re-built rear end and torque tube.

The time this purchase has saved me now puts the pressure back on to finish the body and paint.

Then the re-assembling begins...............I hope I can remember where everything goes !!

I will try provide updates as we go and post some pics of the progress........

Its nice to see someone else putting together a 55. I will be watching. Mud

Oh Oh!!.......the pressure.......the pressure.

I'm afraid mine won't be up to your standards Mud.......I've been following your resto and have seen the work you've put into it......beautiful.

I'm not doing a frame off resto (if I did I would hate to think how long I would take) but it will look clean and tidy where it can be seen and I'll be happy with that.

Oh Oh!!.......the pressure.......the pressure.

I'm afraid mine won't be up to your standards Mud.......I've been following your resto and have seen the work you've put into it......beautiful.

I'm not doing a frame off resto (if I did I would hate to think how long I would take) but it will look clean and tidy where it can be seen and I'll be happy with that.

There are times I wish I could just throw it together and drive it. Mud

Tear down continues with the front off & the inner guards soon to go

post-41557-143142208796_thumb.jpg

Inner Guards gone ..........about to go up on the hoist to to finish freeing up the engine and transmission for removal

post-41557-143142208809_thumb.jpg

Engine and Dynaflow out

post-41557-143142208823_thumb.jpg

This is getting very serious now...............no going back :eek:

post-41557-143142208836_thumb.jpg

Took lots of photos but I sure hope we can remember where all those bit and pieces go.

So now it's on to removing and cleaning up the rest of the front of the body and chassi........not my favorite passtime.

post-41557-143142208779_thumb.jpg

Clean up continues but progress is slow with work being busy and the weather has been rubbish.:mad:

Normally with Spring here we start getting some nice warm weather but the last couple of weeks have been cold wet and miserable.

I did get a chance to visit a few chrome shops and located one that has a good reputation and knows their stuff.

They already had a couple of other sets of bumpers for 55 Buicks in various stages of repair.

They have a bit of a waiting list but I'm not in a big hurry so will probably get it all back by Christmas, what a great Christmas present for me :D (even though I have to pay for my own present)

So that's another thing ticked off the list.

Although I would still like to locate some nice Tail light housings that are either re-chromed or excellent original.............anyone??????

• 5 months later...

We have the car even more disassembled than in the above photos and have given the underneath of the car a tidy up and sprayed it black.

The chrome work is done and sitting in the shelves waiting patiently, I have a new front and rear wiring loom on order, the body, doors, fenders and hood and trunk are nearly all ready to paint just a little more massaging needed.

I have hit a snag with trying to find the right mix for Dover White ( forgot to get a sample before stripping the roof).

Sounds like an easy task but the codes I found on the internet and gave the paint shop ended up being a real fawn/ beige definitely not cream like Dover white. No real good sources in Australia for USA paints that I can find.

Any original color charts I have found recently have all been "WONT SHIP INTERNATIONAL"

Don't worry about the 'correct' Dover White. Every supplier will have a different shade anyhow. Have some white mixed that YOU like and complements the other color of the car. I have 3 55's that have Dover White. On the convertible with Cherokee Red, the white is a definite yellowish cream and complements the red, but would look nasty next to Cadet Blue or Gulf Turquoise...the last 2 are a bit brighter with a hint of blue or green respectively.

Willie

• 5 months later...

It's been a while since I last posted here and sorry to say I haven't a lot to report.

Project had to be put on hold for a few months although I have still been gathering parts here and there.

In the meantime I have been considering some options with the interior and came across these seats locally.

I really like these early buckets with the full chrome trim across the Back.

I'm thinking of having these trimmed in red to match the rest of the interior and using the short console shown.

Thoughts anyone:confused:

post-41557-143142696009_thumb.jpg

post-41557-143142695998_thumb.jpg

post-41557-143142696018_thumb.jpg

Thanks Mike & John

I'm not aiming to turn it into a full blown custom but I've decided I want it to look a little different to the standard.

The drive train I have rebuilt is from a Century so I've collected all I need to turn mine into a Century.

When I eventually get it on the road I'll have a "Special" Century :o

I do have a 425 and Switch Pitch Turbo 400 on the shelf that may make it into the car one day but that will be another project if I decide to go down that road.

I always wanted to put buckets in a 55 with original upholstery, as if it was an option. The 425 route is interesting, as well. If you haven't seen 54 fins' project on his Skylark modifications, you should check that out in Modified. Actually, I think he should put buckets in his car (with Skylark upholstery, of course).

I always wanted to put buckets in a 55 with original upholstery, as if it was an option. The 425 route is interesting, as well. If you haven't seen 54 fins' project on his Skylark modifications, you should check that out in Modified. Actually, I think he should put buckets in his car (with Skylark upholstery, of course).

Spot on Mike.......I have been thinking along the lines of using the original material to try to make them look period correct.......it's that or use a pattern I like from Legendary interiors or similar.

Like I said I am aiming for just something a little different but not a radical custom

I have been following 54 Fins project and agree about the buckets. I like the Tacho he installed in the Dash....cool.