FOR SALE: 1936 Auburn 654 Phaeton

*SOLD*

This is a rare and unusual find. Yes, you're reading that number right, it's a 654, which means it's a six cylinder. I don't know how many were built, but surely no more than a handful still exist, and after talking to a few Auburn experts, it appears that it gives up very little to its eight-cylinder siblings in performance and actually rides and handles better. If you can deal with it being a non-Classic, perhaps it's a good choice if you're looking for something a little unusual and a lot flashy. I might equate it to a 60-Series Buick or a LaSalle convertible sedan of the same vintage.

I'll level with you--this car needs some TLC. The restoration was probably done in the '70s and looks it. The colors and materials are a bit dated, but thanks to spending most of the past 25 years in a museum, it's in very good shape overall. But that same stint in a museum has led to a few issues that will need to be addressed before it's ready to tour, including a brake service (the pedal is a bit mushy, but we're working on it as I write this) and a set of new tires, plus a deep cleaning. The engine was recently rebuilt and has less than 100 miles on it, so it runs superbly, although I have not pushed its limits due to the tires and brakes. Idles nicely, doesn't get hot, and there's plenty of oil pressure. It also cleaned up well and the shiny aluminum head looks great. The air cleaner isn't 100% correct (it looks like a Ford piece to me), but for a tour car, it'll pass muster. Transmission and rear end are quiet and the clutch doesn't slip, although there's a bit of chatter that might smooth out with some driving time.

The two-tone red body with black fenders looks good and a semi-talented hobbyist could easily bring it back to life with a deep cleaning and detail job. There are no notable issues aside from 30 years of shelf wear, and the workmanship when it was restored was obviously quite good. No checking or micro-blistering as you'd expect from older paint, which is nice, and all four doors fit well. The chrome is also in good shape, not perfect, but definitely presentable as-is, and again, some time spent cleaning and shining things will pay big dividends. The tan canvas top is old and stained and a little brittle, but doesn't have any rips or tears. I have not tried to fold it for obvious reasons.

The interior is brown vinyl, I think. It's just too shiny to be leather. It is perhaps the most dated part of the car, although they seem to have tried to replicate the original patterns, particularly on the doors. The seating surfaces are in very good shape, the seats are firm, and the door panels are good. The carpets are '70s shag that looks wrong and is quite dirty, so I'd start there. The steering wheel is in excellent shape, and all the gauges are there, albeit in original condition. I think they all work, although the capillary tubes for the temperature and fuel level gauges are obscured so I can't be certain. It originally had a radio that's no longer with the car (there's an antenna outside), and the unique heart-shaped windshield wiper motors are missing. All the top hardware is there, however, including the side posts.

So it needs some TLC. Spend this winter attending to the little stuff and take it on tour next summer and I think everyone will be impressed. The basics are good, the expensive work is done, and it really is quite rare. We'll have the brakes ready for the new owner, so it can be driven while you attend to the other stuff. Stylish and sleek, few cars can capture the attention of the public like a mid-30s Auburn. Asking $44,900 and we're always open to reasonable offers. Thanks for looking!

post-31138-143142195467_thumb.jpg

post-31138-14314219547_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142195473_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142195475_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142195478_thumb.jpg

post-31138-14314219548_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142195482_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142195485_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142195487_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142195489_thumb.jpg

Edited by Matt Harwood
Sold! (see edit history)