1931 Cadillac Boat Tail Speedster

Guest wmdclark

Guest wmdclark

Hi,

I recently bought a 1931 Cadillac Boat Tail Speedster. Of course, you know that Cadillac made no such model.

I have photos of the car from 1989 when it was in its present form. I am assuming that someone modified a Roadster to make this car.

Thoughts from any of you?

Thanks,

Bill 210-347-5295

post-78366-143142194785_thumb.jpg

post-78366-143142194768_thumb.jpg

post-78366-143142194777_thumb.jpg

Have a local friend who called me up one day, said he'd bought a 31 Packard boat tail....and he was of the same thought as you, knew it wasn't real, but he looked at it and thought "fun" and bought it.... It's a beautiful car and, as long as you know the reality, it's fun and you won't be disappointed! Nice!!!

Guest wmdclark
Have a local friend who called me up one day, said he'd bought a 31 Packard boat tail....and he was of the same thought as you, knew it wasn't real, but he looked at it and thought "fun" and bought it.... It's a beautiful car and, as long as you know the reality, it's fun and you won't be disappointed! Nice!!!

Thanks!

In 1931 and for a few years there were a lot of custom body builders capable of doing that work, and not all that much work available in the heart of the depression. It would not have been hard to have gotten that work done very reasonably, possibly to a rear ended car.

The body tag on the firewall should disclose some helpful information and for $50 the people handling the Cadillac historical records could probably provide more, such as which regional distributer the car was originally sent to. Los Angeles was a hot bed of builders as were other locations around the country.

Is the tail built on wood framing as the body of the rest of the car was? Jim43

Guest wmdclark

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the comments. 1. I have not found a body tag. 2. I will spend the $50 to learn more. 3. I will have to spend some more time under the car to be sure about the framing.

By the way, this car was part of the Dee Howard collection from 1989 until a few years ago. Mr. Howard was well known for his collection with several First Place Awards at the Concours d'Elegance at Pebble Beach. This car was never entered there, to my knowledge.

Great ideas, Jim.

Many thanks!

Beautiful Car. As was stated, there were several aftermarket customers in the 30's. If this is from one of them, then it is as real as it gets! Have fun with it, it will be a Cruise Night Magnet.

Hi

Lovely car! No doubt Fleetwood would have gladly built such at the time if so ordered. It's a pleasure to see a boat-tail done the right way i.e. with proper surface development. The complex, lofted surfaces shows the coachbuilder has an English Wheel and was skillful using it.

As you may be aware, a number of Classic roadsters with missing rear decks have been restored as boat-tail speedsters by someone who didn't understand those surfaces and did them with simply flat sheet metal with minimal arcs. There is a Graham-Paige 835 that looks particularly terrible.

Enjoy your handsome Cadillac V12 Speedster!

Steve