1940 Zephyr fuel pump

West Peterson

Guest 65Starfire

Yeah but the glass bowl ones sure look cool but judging from the post on the wire conduits you would need a different set of wire conduits to go with the pump...

Hmmm. I didn't think the engine was a postwar engine, but I guess it's possible. The car only has 26,000 miles on it. The heads are painted. I've seen some 1940 engines with polished aluminum heads. What should it have?

The car runs like a scalded cat. Columbia 2-speed lets me keep up with freeway traffic. Enough torque to climb many of the hills we encountered in 3rd speed with the high-speed rear gear engaged.

Original interior looks practically new. Had one day where we lost all spark. Had the distributor rebuilt at Honest Charlies. The next day, discovered that our brand-new battery was no good.

Answered my own question regarding heads (I think): After going through Ocee Ritch's book, I see that the Continentals were gussied up a bit with polished heads.

post-33613-143142195673_thumb.jpg

post-33613-143142195684_thumb.jpg

post-33613-143142195694_thumb.jpg

Edited by West Peterson (see edit history)

Good Lookin Car!! Wish my doors looked like that. Could you send us some photos of the gaskets and rubber under the doors (long ones and the 2 short ends)? Not many interiors and doors survived in that nice of condition, would be very helpful to see a real originals to try and copy! Heard a few comments about the Glidden tour, but unaware what that was. When and where did we miss that? Thanks, Paul

Paul

I wish I could, but I'm in southwest Ohio and the car is in Atlanta. I will try to have my brother get some photos for you. It may take several days.

Regarding the Glidden Tour: It is a week-long event held each year and hosted by the AACA and VMCCA in alternating years, normally in September. It was held in Chattanooga last week. Next year it will take place in Northeast Ohio.

West, the "wires" 65Starfire is talking about are the spark plug wires that are contained in the metal "wire looms" or "spark plug wire conducts". Makes a neater wiring package. The 40 and 41 Lincoln Continentals were spiffed up with polished aluminum heads...the poor ol "zeffers were relegated to unpolished aluminum heads. Drivers side wire looms were shorter in length after the war to accomodate the new glass bowl fuel pumps. Enjoy your "Zeffer"... really great comefortible family cars.

Guest 65Starfire
Wires??? There's an inlet fuel line and an outlet fuel line. No wires.

Sorry for the confusion ! I hope to get mine looking half as nice. See the above post.

Another post details changes made to the length of one of the conduits to allow for the bowl on the pump.

Edited by 65Starfire (see edit history)