1931 Pontiac rear axle seals

Guest dannla

Does anyone know where I can source rear axle seals for a 1931 Pontiac 401 coupe? I have checked with Kanter and California Pontiac Restoration and they only stock from 1933 on.

Also, to the seals just pull out with a seal puller and then install the new ones? I'm assuming the outer bearing will be behind the seals. Will it be pressed on or can I just pop it out to check its condition? I do not want to pull it until I have a replacement in hand.

Thanks everyone!

The outer seal is easily pulled without disturbing the bearing at all. Probably your leak is caused by a leaking inner seal, this lets the gear lube wash the grease out od the bearing. Then the gear lube leaks out into the hub. I don't know how bad your leak is, perhaps you just need to grease the bearing properly. The difficulty if you havn't had it all apart is you don't know if the inner seal is there or if it is even installed properly.

The inner seal is a metal retainer with a felt seal. It installs from the outside into the axle housing and is a loose fit. The outer part of the axle bearing holds the seal in place. The hub goes through the outer seal and presses against the rollers which also press against the inner seal.

If everything is installed properly the next trick is to fill the bearing with grease via the nipple on the differential by the backing plate. The problem is too little grease and the bearing will run dry, too much grease and you will blow the inner seal in and then the gear lube will wash out all the grease and you are back to leaking again.

I have found (in 54 years and 400,000 miles) that two shots with a grease gun every time you grease the car (in my case every three months or about 3000 miles) seems to keep the bearings in good shape (mine are still the original ones) without damaging the seals. I replaced my left side seals once about thirty years ago. The guy in the garage gave my bearing three or four shots with the grease gun before I stopped him. It only took about fifty miles until the seal was leaking.

I have seen the inner seals on ebay once in a while. You need to check under Oakland as well as Pontiac. When Pontiac went to Hotchkiss drive (because the Chev diff was not strong enough) the used the Oakland rear end. OlCar Bearing would probably have the seals.

Your inner seal is a Victor 49062 this is a complete seal (metal and felt) By the way I have a spare one if you were desperate.

The inner seal itself is a felt ring 2 3/8 x 1 1/2 x 13/32 this is probably all you really need. I don't think the metal would ever wear out.

The outer seal is a Super 10261, felpro 2551, CR 20070 or ??? 5070 these are 3 1/8 x 1 7/8 x 1/4

Thank you for the direction on where to buy and the detailed info on how these things operate! I found the CR 20070 seals (outer seal), but they appear to have a rubber seal as compared to the original felt seal. Will the rubber work fine? is there any advantages / drawbacks? I would have to assume that as long as the mating surface on the hub is smooth, the rubber would seal better than the felt. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Tin Indian; I have seen the grease nipple you speak of on various locations on my car, it is similar to a grease zert on newer vehicles. What type of grease gun fits these? Is there a common name for them? I appologize for my ignorance, but prior to this 1931 all my experience was with modern era vehicles.

Thanks again

You should have no trouble buying a grease gun with the appropriate end on it at NAPA or any tractor supply place. Originally your car would have had "Alemite" fittings. At that time they were round cylinders with horizontal pins. The grease gun went on with a twist to seal. Around that time Alemite came up with a ball shaped fitting that they called "Alemite Hydraulic". Most of the older style fittings were changed over the years as the new guns fit the new fittings quicker and better and it was only a few cents to upgrade. You can still buy the older type fittings and either an adapter so a modern gun will work to change the nipple on a modern gun. When I started in the automotive field in 1959 all the old style fittings were called alemite and all the new ones were zerk. As usual when you put people into a system they call things by whatever they think is right not what is right for example serial numbers and "VIN" numbers. I don't think there is any disadvantage to using a leather or neoprene outer seal. The inner seal should be felt I think because it bears against a poorly machined part of the axle.

Based on the responses here, I am confident I will find the outer seals. To my surprise, I was able to gently pry the metal portions of the seals out without damaging them. everything appeared to be assembled correctly; retaining nut, tang washer, outer seal (metal / felt / metal), bearing, inner seal (metal, then felt).

The bearing had no grease in it, only rear diff fluid, just as Tinindian expected. I attempted to pry out the inner felt seal, but it seemed swollen with diff fluid and tight against the axle shaft. I could not get it to budge. Based on the apparent condition of the inner seal, I believe it should be good.

I intend on repacking the bearing (it appeared in good condition) and reassembling with a new outer seal. Am I correct in understanding that, after assembly, I should finish packing the grease in the void using the grease nipple or is hand packing it sufficient? I understand I should "top off" the grease every 3000 miles or so. If there is anything I am missing please let me know.

I will look for the appropriate fitting to use my existing grease fittings. Thanks for all the help!

Glad things are looking okay for you. You might also find that most people keep the fluid too high in their differentials. If you can put your little finger in the fill hole and down and can touch the gear lube you have enough.

• 11 months later...

Just came across your request -- if you still need them -- give me a call -- I have over 400,000 seals --- some I haven't even gotten a chance to cross reference yet -- one of each year's winter project!!!!

I KNOW I have some 5070 National seals -- and I have about 100,000 Victor seals I still have to cross refernce....

Call me -- Craig -- 516 - 485 - 1935... New York....