Installing Tranny Mount & Frame Insulators above rear spring

40ZephSedan

Have the back end up on jacks to change tranny mount & (2) rear frame insulators above the spring. What are the basic steps that must be taken to change these parts? Looks like I can just remove e-brake line, brake hoses, and shocks, then jack it up high enough to remove the insulators, and I can roll axle back enough to slip the old tranny mount out and the new tranny mount in. Is that true? I see leaf spring stretchers in some threads and stories, but it looks like that might only be necessary if taking the rear end apart, which I an not doing. Hoping I can just leave spring attached to axle if possible and roll it back as one assembly, if only replacing insulators and tranny mount. If I do need spring stretcher, where do you buy them, cost? Thx, Paul

• 11 months later...

post-55048-143142717059_thumb.jpg

Paul,,,looks like you have the sequence right for removing and installing the frame insulators, pretty straight forward actually. To move that rear spring there are several way to accomplish it, I used a "porta-power" unit between the left and right side of the spring and just pumped it enough to get the shackle bolts out. Each end of the porta power had wedge shaped parts so it worked perfect.

Tom