'10 Hupp, Ford Hub conversion question...

Tom400CFI

For those who have used Ford T hubs on your Hupp....

What is your bearing solution? Looking at the hub, the bearing area is some what radiused at the inner ends -both inner and outer. It seems to me, that to make a modern bearing fit properly, one would need to machine out that radius so the bearing cup seats fully into the hub. Yes? No?

I didn't use Ford T hubs, but took the original Hupp hubs and, with some machine work, made them capable of accepting modern bearings. This was long ago, but if I remember correctly the original hubs had an internal radius in which the original loose ball bearing rolled...

If you use a T hub then you'll have to modify the hubcaps, not the same thread as a T.

I did use T parts to rebuild the gear cluster in the differential, when mine decided not to participate in differentiating any more. Almost an exact fit, one has to think that they were coming from the same supplier in 1910 and thereabouts.....

Thanks for the reply.

Apparently, my car already had T-hubs on it. The hubs pictured in my drivetrain rebuild thread are them. One of them broke when I tried to push out the beat bearing race. I got new-to-me hubs and they are identical...and I mean, IDENTICAL, to the hubs that were on my car, that broke. Including the thread pitch for the hub caps; mine hub caps thread right on.

Well crap. I just bought $140 worth of new, tapered roller bearings. I wonder if they'll take them back. T Ford bearings would be WAY cheaper than all the welding/cutting required to make the new bearing fit.

Thanks for the tip, Not too late b/c nothing's been welded or cut yet.

• 3 months later...

G,day to all specially Tom. Perhaps its too late but don't re cut the radius in the hub . Grind a radius on the bearing cup to suit the one in the hub. Early mod 20 use ball race ,Cone, Caged balls .and Race later tapered roller were used. Both adjusted by screwing the outer cone on the threaded axle. An internal threaded sleeve screwed on the thread with the od to fit the bearing you are going to use allows a wider choice of outer bearing. Adjust with the axle nut RH / LH. Edgar may have the change over date but as Hup found obsolete overlooked stock they used the part and sent the vehicle to export. Dating a Hup by mechanical feature is a stab in the dark for this reason. Just keep Hupping along

Max BURKE Nulkaba 2325 Australia

Thanks for the post Max.

Car is done. Drove it under it's own power...FINALLY. I used T ford hubs (which were identical to the hubs that broke...so someone switched to Ford hubs previously??) and Lang's Tapered roller bearings...the outer races pressed into the hubs nicely. Getting the inner race of the outer bearing threaded on to the spindle proved to be a major PITA. Also, the total bearing "package" was narrower than the original Hupp ball bearings so I had to fab spacers to space the inner race of the inner bearing, out. Got it together though...they're tight and smooth, so it should work.