1910 Hupmobile Model 20 B oiler question

tomwallace

Trying to get my 1910 Hupmobile Model 20 B ready for a show on Sunday. We need to clean up the carb and a couple other things.

I just purchased this car a few months ago and just now have time to work on it.

I read about the oiler and that 16 drips per minute in the sightglass is about right to start out.

We noticed that the oiler continues to drip even when the motor is not running. Is this normal?

Much thanks

Tom Wallace, Dayton, OH

Yes, the needle valves won't seat all the way, and the oil will continue to drip. Thus, every time you drive it, you need to drain the pan (standpipes in the crankcase assure enough oil left to run engine), then fill up the oil reservoir. You can use the oil over and over, of course. Pain in the arse, but the little things are worth it.

The oil in the crankcase is the critical thing, make sure your standpipes (in the two bottom drain petcocks) are 3/4 to 1 inch up into the crankcase. I used to think that the drip oil went to the mains but I think now that it just replenishes the oil in the crankcase.

Do you have an original Breeze carb on the car, or has it been modified? I have electronic copy of Breeze manual if you have the original.

I have the original breeze carb on the car. I do have the carb manual also. I think it may be gummed up so we are going to clean it out and put it back on.

Saturday is a day of polishing up the brass for the show if we can get the carb sorted out. The gear box is a bit noisy. The car sat in a museum for 30 years and they didn't hook up the tranny linkages properly. So a bit more work.

Wish me luck.

Tom Wallace, Dayton, OH

Luck!!

The linkages for the transmission are easy to adjust. There are a few bushings, large and small, internal to the transmission, if worn they could be the source of noise (don't know if you mean noisy shifting, as in "grind a pound for me while you're at it", or noisy going down the road).

Luck again!

Hi All,

Probably a dumb question but after draining all the oil out of the crankcase, what is the best method to refill - pour the oil down the breathers? I must admit, I don't really understand he purpose of the drippers - if it is just to replenish leaks (as some have suggested on this forum), why not just add a bit extra in the crankcase?

Cheers,

Andrew.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Tom Bastian

I believe the original concept was that new oil would be placed in the reservoir and slowly drip into the crank case to replace lost oil. some oil is lost to the cylinders, valve followers, and some to the gearbox. The instructions say to daily drain the excess oil from both the sump and the gearbox. Oil is also supposed to flow down the drive shaft tube to the diff, and the instructions say to occasionally drain the excess out of the lower diff plug to keep the oil from getting too high and soaking the brakes. I would guess overfilling the crank case would splash more oil and maybe transfer an excessive amount to the gearbox, not to mention added drag on the crank and possible oil foaming. Another comment on dripping when engine is off - Make sure the hand throttle is closed so the wedges are not inadvertantly opening the drippers.

Tom

There is no oil filler cap in the Hupp engine, so you'd need to drip it from the oiler box or down the breather tubes. One trick a Model 20 owner told me is to use an umbrella rib or the like as a dip stick. You lower it down a breather tube and mark it. That way, you don't need to run oil out of the taps to check oil level.

Phil