Removal of Controls in center of Steering Wheel on 28 Chrysler??

Guest oldcar1928

Guest oldcar1928

The 3 control rings in the center of my 1928 Chrysler Model 62 steering wheel have the control arms missing (broken off, pot metal). Having been unable to find any replacements for many Years, I am considering having them reproduced using the 3D printing method. But first I will have to remove them and am not sure how. Can anyone help? Thanks, Ray

I believe that you have to remove the light switch at the base of the steering column and pull the horn tube out of the steering column in order to get to the screws on the backside. You may also have to lower the steering column drop to get enough room to remove the tube and light controls. See this thread for a similar deal....http://forums.aaca.org/f154/31-plymouth-horn-button-question-358704.html

Guest Newbie72

I have a 28 Chrysler 72 also with the same control problem. Anyone have any info on being able to get replacement controls. All three controls have fallen apart.

Thanks

Guest Newbie72

I also have a 28 Chrysler 72 Royal Sedan with the deteriated control arms in the steering wheel. Has anyone came up with a good replacement source yet?

• 7 months later...
Guest Newbie72
The 3 control rings in the center of my 1928 Chrysleûr Model 62 steering wheel have the control arms missing (broken off, pot metal). Having been unable to find any replacements for many Years, I am considering having them reproduced using the 3D printing method. But first I will have to remove them and am not sure how. Can anyone help? Thanks, Ray

Ray, did you have any luck finding someone to do the 3d printing? My are also broke but I have all the pieces so I could glue it together for a scan. I have someone working on the CAD drawings right now and then we are going to do a plastic print from the 3d scan and see how they look. Then I think I found someone that can print them in metal once we get the final copy.

If you have had them made I might be able to short cut one of my steps.

Jeff Muck

jeff.muck@yahoo.com

Guest martylum

I just replaced 2 broken off handles on a 29 Desoto and think you will find 2 or 3 slotted screws on the bottom side of the lowest disc in the stack if yours is similar. You do need to disconnect the tubes at the light switch and slide up the steering shaft to get at the screws.

I was fortunate to have had new stainless castings made by a Canadian named Harvey and then I had new castings made by Verdone in PA when Harvey died. I restored a Model 75 and considered having new levers made but never carried through.

Marty Lum

marty@oldercar.com

I know that Verdone's had the levers for the 29 DeSoto, I wonder if they had the molds for the Chryslers. I am still kicking myself for not getting a set at their last visit to Hershey. I know they closed and were trying to sell the business. Does anyone know if the molds are still in existance, or if the business will be back under new ownership?

I need both levers for a 30 Chrysler also.

I messed around too long and Marty Lum warned me. Verdones as far as I know is out of business.

While you're at it cast some 30 Chrysler door handles and window cranks.

The ones for sale in Australia are just generic and not duplicate of original.

Bill H