1952 Nash Statesman question

Guest gergstuff

Guest gergstuff

It looks like my previous post got wiped out by the recent troubles...

Anyway, I just bought a 1952 Nash Statesman Super and had a few questions.

What makes a Super super?

The car has overdrive but I do notknow how to use it so do not know if it works. Can someone give me instructions?

I think the car is supposed to be 6 volt postive ground but someone had put a 12 volt battery in there and most of the electrics are not working right, the tailights seem awful bright. How can I tell if someone did the necessary things to convert it to 12 volt?

There is a missing emblem on the trunck lid, not sure what is supposed to be there, any ideas?

Thanks in adavnce for the help.

Craig

• 4 weeks later...

Craig,

I have a couple of suggestions for you. Join the Nash Car Club (google it) and you will be connected with lots of folks who have Nashes of that era. Also, look for a Service Manual for your car and get a driver's manual. Both documents will eventually show up on Ebay if you can get them from someone in the club or one of the auto literature dealers. You'll feel so much more confident about owning your car if you have read those documents. Generally the Borg-Warner overdrives have a knob that you push in to give the overdrive a chance to operate. Push in that knob and accelerate to about 28 mph in third year, then let off the gas and the car goes into overdrive. You can feel it and tell that your engine is turning fewer rpms. You can leave the knob pushed in and the car automatically drops out of overdrive when you slow below the high-twenties in mph. What you have to be careful with is pulling the knob out and taking it out of overdrive while the car is coasting. I think the manual says you can do it while the engine is driving the car, but it's better to do it with the car standing still. I'm summarizing the overdrive information from my driver's manual for a 62 Rambler Classic, but I think the older overdrives work the same way. They were all Borg-Warner units. Have fun with your car. Joe