Shock Absorbers for a 1962 Oldsmobile Starfire 2 door hardtop - and a Transmission swap

Guest Coffeeguy4

Guest Coffeeguy4

Hey Fellas, My Starfire is close to hitting the road. Two questions - who makes a good shock absorber (front and back) for that car? Seems like the prices I'm getting from NAPA and Advance are out of line. Second - if this transmission does decide to die on me (I've heard from some of you that the tranny is the weak link in the cars overall design) then is there another GM transmission that bolts in, fits in the tunnel, and works with the linkage? Thanks! Rick

I obtained my shock absorbers from Fusick Automotive, which is the first place I always look for parts for my '62 Starfire Coupe and my '62 Dynamic 88 wagon. They send the items quickly, and have never had a "wrong" or incorrect item from them. They will be at Fall Carlisle and Fall Hershey if that is of relevance, as you would save on shipping that way; you need to let them know by the Friday before each Meet. I have the pricing and contact information below.

As for the transmission, hmmm, I am a stickler for authenticity, so I would stay with the Slim Jim if at all possible, though I know they were the Achilles' Heel of these cars. Whatever you do, if you stick with the Roto HydraMatic 10, as it is known, make SURE the shop has a guy who has ACTUALLY WORKED on them, or you'll end up like me, where a 40-year-in-the-business tranny guy returned the parts to THREE Slim-Jims I had in eight boxes! Luckily I had an old retired guy who knew these inside and out agree to put two good ones together out of them, and he did them both within two weeks, and they are running great. They should give you great service at that point, as long as you're not abusing them like some 17-year-old kid and wanting to do burn-outs...

I have heard of people who say that they can mate the 394 with a Olds 700 R4 tranny, but from what I understand (no expert, someone please correct me if I am wrong), it does require some fabrication, and also some cutting of the floor as the tranny tunnel is not large enough to accommodate this switch-out. Ross Lombardi of Ross Racing in Niles, Ohio (near Youngstown/Warren) would know more about this; his number is 330/544-4466. H

Hope this helps, keep us posted, and below is the info on the shocks from Fusick's (they have springs, too, which I have also bought and installed on the Starfire)...

Gas Shock Absorbers:

New tubular type gas shock absorbers are available to give you the

quality ride and handling that you expect from your Oldsmobile.

50140G

Front Shock Absorber 1961-64 All 88-98-SF 49.50 each

50185G

Rear Shock Absorber 1961-62 All 88-98-SF 49.50 each

Phone: 1-860-623-1589

Phone: 1-860-623-1583