Unique 1940 Sixty Special COUPE

Guest DCarGirl

Guest DCarGirl

I'm DCarGirl and I'm new to this site. I'm hoping to find a few answers about a car I'm helping a friend with. It's a 1940 Sixty Special COUPE, yes a two door. I can NOT find any information about a coupe being built that year, although I've found several sites mentioning custom built models. I've looked the car over personally and gotten the information from the id plate to verify it's a 40 Sixty Special but the style # shows it as a 6019S. I don't know what the trim level is meant to indicate, so I don't know how to search for more information. Maybe the trim # is simply it's build sequence or maybe it tells more about the car, I just honestly don't know. I've only been looking at this for about a week, so Newbie probably describes me to a tee. I'm not totally unfamiliar with automobiles as my husband talked me into buying a couple of independent auto dealerships, but to say I know about cars would be laughable! Regarding the car, I have checked the title to verify that it is listed as a coupe not a sedan, and it is. My friend got this from a museum and was told it was a custom build, but I have NO verification of it being a custom built, though I do have verification that it did belong to the museum. Here is what I know from viewing the car and what I can gather online: 40-6019S, 2 Door Coupe, Side Mounted Spare Tires, Leather Top with IronBar, rear rock guards, believe it's been repainted, the museum had the interior redone to tan leather although I believe from the info I've read it would have originally been cloth, the id plate is marked Body by Fleetwood. How can I verify this is a one of a kind car?

Guest studepeople

I got out my Cadillac book written by Maurice Hendry. In it he lists the models of 6019's. for 1940 number of what was manufactured. 6019S sedan 4 Door (4,242 )...6019SA Sunroof Sedan 4 Door (230).....6019F Imperial Sedan (110) and 6019AF Imperial Sedan Sun Roof (3)....I see no Two Doors listed....... 6019 is a four door semi-custom model line..... Many pictures would be great as it could shine a light on this car........

Guest studepeople

And yes I saw a picture of a 1940 Four door 60 special with leather top and laundel Irons .It said they were executive ordered about ten cars between 1938 and 1941.......

Guest DCarGirl

Studepeople. I had also recognized that 6019S was for a sedan (4-door) so that's why I verified that the title was listed as a 2-door coupe. I do have a couple of pictures that I don't mind sharing. Thank you for your quick response. The info you found in the book was the same info I had found online, too, so that's why I finally posted, just hoping to get some new views from people who know WAY more than I do! ;) DCarGirl

Edited by DCarGirl (see edit history)

Guest DCarGirl

two more thoughts ... was the coupe that's been reportedly built in 1938 for Bill Knudsen listed in the book you've referenced, and if so was it listed as a coupe? And ... would ordering a build sheet be the best reference material that I may be able to find on this particular car or might it be a waste of time?

Guest studepeople

Now that I have seen a couple of photos ........the wheel base seems short to me....measure center to center on the front to back wheels and see what the wheel base is .It does have a Cadillac V-8 under the hood correct? The engine no. will tell you something........

Guest DCarGirl

Yes V-8 under the hood. It may be a month or more before I can get back to it's place of storage to look it over. Did you happen to get an opportunity to check on Bill Kundsen's 1938 coupe being listed and have you ever seen a picture of it anywhere?

• 10 months later...
Guest DCarGirl

the wheel base measured 127" center to center. I noted that there is chrome trim around the windows ... someone told me that the chrome would be an indicator as to whether it was originally a Cadillac or not. what should we check on next to figure this out?

• 4 weeks later...