1928 Hupmobile Engine Rebuilding Kit Question

Guest Henry Kandzerski

Guest Henry Kandzerski

Looking for an engine rebuilding kit for my Model A Century Six Roadster. Nice car but, recently took up a bad smoking habit.

Sounds like maybe rings & valve job is in order. Vintage Auto parts Inc. has the rings you need. Olsons gasket can supply you with all the gaskets. They are both on the net. I f your machine shop cannot save your valves, Northwestern Auto,616-241-5611 should have new valves for your Hupp.I hope this helps you and Have a Huppy day

• 1 month later...

Henry, with only 2 hrs on a rebuild on my 1929 Hupp A, it started leaking oil out of the rear main seal. Closer inspection told me that the housing that the seal was housed in was made of pot metal or pig metal as it is called. It cracked in half letting the oil leak out of the end of the pan between the block & the fly wheel. I am reseaching this to find out how many Hupp engines used this type of seal holder. I am going to machine 1 for now for my engine but I think there is a great need for more. Just wanted you to know as this could be a problem for you.

Guest Henry Kandzerski
Henry, with only 2 hrs on a rebuild on my 1929 Hupp A, it started leaking oil out of the rear main seal. Closer inspection told me that the housing that the seal was housed in was made of pot metal or pig metal as it is called. It cracked in half letting the oil leak out of the end of the pan between the block & the fly wheel. I am reseaching this to find out how many Hupp engines used this type of seal holder. I am going to machine 1 for now for my engine but I think there is a great need for more. Just wanted you to know as this could be a problem for you.

Thank You for this Heads Up....

This is very helpful. Please keep me informed on what you find. I am looking at my 28 Hup as a Winter Project.

Thank You; Henry

Yes I will, I am very concerned that there are quite a few other Hupp owners that need to replace this oil seal holder as they rebuild there engines. I have 2 other Hupps that have never been taken apart & do not leak. I think that when the holder is disturbed that the problem occurs . I will keep you posted. Chuck

• 1 month later...

After checking the Hupmobile Factory parts book for the 1928-1929 Model A Hupp engine, the part # for the Rear main oil seal retainer is #63317 for both years. I then checked the 1930-1931 Model S which is also a 6cyl. engine and the part # for that seal retainer is #66168. This tells me that they are different. Being that we have about 35 1928 Hupp A in the club and 70 1929 Hupp A's. I am going to post a notice in the hupp parts locator to see how many would be interested in having some cast. If I get enough interest, I have a friend that is a pattern maker and he will help me get this project going.

• 3 years later...
Guest Henry Kandzerski

Those interested.    For the 28 Hupmobile....removed the oil pan, removed the head, removed the pistons and installed new rings.  Cylinder walls were like new.  Reinstalled the pistols, head and pan.  Hup runs great with not even a puff.   Done

Super so  glad to  hear you got  the  engine running great. Maybe  now  I  will get  back to  restoring  my 28  Hupp roadster The  pic of your car give  me  the push I  need to finish my  roadster.. Now  I  sold the  29 Hupp A  sedan  I  brought  to Fl,  I  need to  finish the  26  Ajax  and then  the  28  Hupp

Guest Henry Kandzerski

I wish you the best of Luck...Very worthwhile car to focus on.  It is all about the fun and experience you obtain toward the goal of satisfaction. 

On 11/22/2013 at 10:14 AM, Hupp36 said:

After checking the Hupmobile Factory parts book for the 1928-1929 Model A Hupp engine, the part # for the Rear main oil seal retainer is #63317 for both years. I then checked the 1930-1931 Model S which is also a 6cyl. engine and the part # for that seal retainer is #66168. This tells me that they are different. Being that we have about 35 1928 Hupp A in the club and 70 1929 Hupp A's. I am going to post a notice in the hupp parts locator to see how many would be interested in having some cast. If I get enough interest, I have a friend that is a pattern maker and he will help me get this project going.

HUPP36, did you ever go ahead with this project? If so how did it go?

I  made  one  for  the  29  A  Hupp  that  I  was  working  on to  sell  .One  of the  Hupmobile  Club members  Dave  Romani has  taken  up the  project  and is  having   at  least 10  made. A  fellow  contacted me  for  1  he  needed  so  I  told  him to  contact  Dave.  I  have  at  least  2  other  Hupps  that  may  need one  so  I am  going to  call Dave  and  get on the  list .Thanks  for asking. Chuck  Moore