Whitewall width on full-size Oldsmobiles

starfireelvis

Interesting debate between friends at a recent Oldsmobile show. Discussion centered around the proper whitewall width of the early-'60s Oldsmobiles (particularly around 1962-64 full-size cars), also the width of the whitewall starting in 1965.

I have always believed that the '62-'64 models had a one-inch whitewall; however the contention was made that it was an inch-and-a-half, which I contend is too wide (there was a transition from the wider-whites for the '61 GM models, or so I had thought). Beginning with the 1965 model year, I had also believed that the whitewall was reduced to 5/8ths of an inch--is this accurate?

Thanks for your assistance,

Mike

The 1" was introduced mid-61 on Starfire and Impala SS and soon became standard width on all the non-Cadillac GM cars.

I can't swear with any certainty about 62-63, but all the 1964 factory illustrations I've seen (including the C&F book) indeed show a wider whitewall, probably a 1-1/2" as described above. One thing to consider is that photo ads were uncommon at the time; they were using artwork which may have taken some liberties.

I've seen this in Olds, Pontiac and Chevy advertising. Notably Bonneville and Impala SS for non-Olds. I can't remember if I've ever looked that close at period Buick ads and lit to see what they were doing.

Friend's 66 Starfire came with the original U.S. Royal 800 spare and it was in the 5/8"- 3/4" range.

The 1" was introduced mid-61 on Starfire and Impala SS and soon became standard width on all the non-Cadillac GM cars.

I can't swear with any certainty about 62-63, but all the 1964 factory illustrations I've seen (including the C&F book) indeed show a wider whitewall, probably a 1-1/2" as described above. One thing to consider is that photo ads were uncommon at the time; they were using artwork which may have taken some liberties.

I've seen this in Olds, Pontiac and Chevy advertising. Notably Bonneville and Impala SS for non-Olds. I can't remember if I've ever looked that close at period Buick ads and lit to see what they were doing.

Friend's 66 Starfire came with the original U.S. Royal 800 spare and it was in the 5/8"- 3/4" range.

For future reference, Is there any place you can find the 5/8 or 3/4 inch whitewall on a radial equivalent (235/75/14--car in question is a '65 Olds Ninety-Eight convertible with A/C)? I could not find such an animal for Coker, Universal, or Lucas. I do see the 1-inch versions at all locations...

For future reference, Is there any place you can find the 5/8 or 3/4 inch whitewall on a radial equivalent (235/75/14--car in question is a '65 Olds Ninety-Eight convertible with A/C)? I could not find such an animal for Coker, Universal, or Lucas. I do see the 1-inch versions at all locations...

I too would like to learn of such a source. Would buy 4 right now, just to have on hand for when needed in the future! My current tires are 3/4" WW and I do like the look.

My 1961 was delivered new with one inch w/w's. You can still get one inch W/W's from Coker in the bias ply. I like the bias ply tires better than the radials because they are the correct diameter.(larger), if you get the original size tire. Makes your speedometer correct if your car had bias plies when new. Also reduces the revolutions per mile and in addition gives your car the correct stance.

Diamond Back Classic Radial Tires can make any whitewall width you want on a modern radial casing. Some of the larger 14" sizes like our cars use are getting hard to find.

When Tim bought Rich Harrell's 66 Starfire it had a set of double-stripe whitewalls on it- a 5/8" with a 3/8" pinstripe. The tires were questionable age-wise so he had Diamondback duplicate that whitewall on a set of Mastercraft 225/75R14 tires. No, not correct for the car since only Cadillacs and I think some Chryslers were using multi-stripe whitewalls then, but they look right on the car. Trouble is those are probably questionable age-wise now too.

I'd have to say that those '62-'64 models are one-inchers, even though I believe Buick had 15 inch wheels, as opposed to Oldsmobile having the 14-inchers...even the '65 looks like its the same...

Any word on what the '65 full-size models for Oldsmobile would have had, and where they might be available?

starfireelvis, here's an original photographic image of a '65 Delta 88:

4334051492_f72cf3f562_b.jpg

'65 Ninety Eight:

7292718216_b1770e7023_b.jpg

'65 Starfire:

4096721587_c4f7090f83_z.jpg?zz=1

And here's a link to an excellent photo of a new Ninety Eight in 1965:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/isuspecialcollections/2274172631/in/photolist-4sXJhX-4t2N2Y-5LTFXa-7pT9S6-7Q2Vji/lightbox/

Edited by Centurion (see edit history)